HomeHome  Main PageMain Page  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Latest topics
» Random Thoughts
by La Diva Carlotta Today at 2:08 am

» The General Rant/Bitch/Moan Thread.
by La Diva Carlotta Today at 2:06 am

» What is everyone doing at the mo?
by La Diva Carlotta Today at 1:58 am

» The Official Birthday thread!
by GhostRed Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:14 pm

» Recent Acquisitions Thread
by Vampira132 Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:17 am

» Things you want to learn!
by Vampira132 Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:12 am

» I feel Happy
by endless dark Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:12 pm

» What Are You Currently Watching?
by ravengrim Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:17 pm

» Current Reads
by ravengrim Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:01 pm

» What Are You Listening To Now?
by endless dark Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:28 pm

» Dream Thread
by endless dark Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:57 pm

» ^*^ Happy Halloween ^*^
by GhostRed Tue Oct 31, 2017 2:40 pm

» Three Word Story
by shortpsycho Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:06 pm

Like/Tweet/+1
Most Viewed Topics
Random Thoughts
The General Rant/Bitch/Moan Thread.
What is everyone doing at the mo?
I feel Happy
The funny pages
The General Rant/Bitch/Moan Thread.
The Official Birthday thread!
What's The Last Movie You Saw?
Post Random Pictures of yourself!
Recent Acquisitions Thread
Similar topics

Share | 

FREAK Shots: Death and Foreclosure

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
ravengrim

Virgo Rat
Number of posts : 7192
: : The Fallen Angel
: :
More Numbers : 4585950
Registration date : 2008-07-21

PostSubject: FREAK Shots: Death and Foreclosure   Wed May 13, 2009 9:17 am

A blog reader named Lee emailed us a photo he took on Highway 86 in Imperial, California. “It made me wonder if [the economy] is really that bad that even dead people will lose their resting places,” he writes. “What will they do? Evict the dead?”

We called Victor Carrillo, the supervisor for Imperial County listed on the sign, to find out.

“It’s a privately owned cemetery,” he tells us. “I presume it will be purchased by another entity in the cemetery business. That’s been typical.”

For a new owner to use the land as something other than a cemetery, says Carrillo, they’d have to contact all the families with relatives buried there, pay to move all the remains, request a land-use zone change, and have numerous public hearings.

Carrillo suspects the cemetery’s alkaline soil, which makes it difficult to grow grass and vegetation, played a role making it unattractive to potential customers and bringing it to foreclosure.

Though according to the Los Angeles Times, the cemetery is just one of many businesses in the Imperial Valley that is suffering.

We asked Larry Anspach, president of American Cemetery/Mortuary Consultants Inc. whether we’re likely to see more cemetery foreclosures as a result of the recession.

“This is the first I’ve heard of a cemetery being foreclosed,” he says. “People say it’s actually a recession-proof industry.” A foreclosure is more likely to happen because of bad or fraudulent money management by the owner, he says.
Anspach agrees with Carrillo that a foreclosed cemetery probably won’t become a parking lot or a Walmart:

Given the current economic climate, people probably aren’t scrambling to use the land for commercial purposes. It would obviously upset a lot of people if someone said “Gee, we’re going to turn this cemetery into a housing development, like in Poltergeist.”

Things are tough all over I guess. dead

@themorrigan1972
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Succubus
supernova

Libra Tiger
Number of posts : 6201
More Numbers : 4429995
Registration date : 2008-08-29

PostSubject: Re: FREAK Shots: Death and Foreclosure   Wed May 13, 2009 9:37 am

Its hard to believe that even the one simple thing that we all thought would never have a "foreclosed" sign on the property is a cemetery.... I was kind surprised by one of the comments there on the link saying that "'cemeteries are a waste of space. " Its comments like that from people who cannot appreciate the meaning of conservation. There are/were so much land developing going around with new houses and shopping centers that its getting to the point where the only place you can actually see nature is in or around a cemetery. sorry I went off the topic a little.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RedAngel
star member

Leo Snake
Number of posts : 5385
More Numbers : 4312531
Registration date : 2008-11-30

PostSubject: Re: FREAK Shots: Death and Foreclosure   Wed May 13, 2009 9:52 am

^^ Don't apologize; I agree with you. What have we become as people (using "we" loosely) if we even consider reappropriating cemetery land??

It's not just the sacred ground issue; people really need to ask themselves how damn important it is to have one more condo complex or shopping center. These things don't even make people any happier; just more jaded and spoiled. It just doesn't make any sense.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://gracestudios.deviantart.com/
Ginger_Snaps

Leo Cat
Number of posts : 4539
: : Werewolf
More Numbers : 4483590
Registration date : 2008-07-22

PostSubject: Re: FREAK Shots: Death and Foreclosure   Fri May 15, 2009 5:22 pm

People who can't appreciate cemeteries shouldn't allowed to be buried--let them be picked at by vultures.

I have not actually seen it happen, but yes, the dead can be evicted from their graves to make way for home. Once I'm dead, I'm dead, so I'm not going to care what happens to my "resting spot" but it says a lot about our people when they can't even respect the dead.

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: FREAK Shots: Death and Foreclosure   

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1