HomeHome  Main PageMain Page  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Swine Flu Causes US to Delcare Health Emergengy

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
cynfullov
star member

Number of posts : 3919
Location : Wickedly at play while the GODS of HADES give an ever watchful grinning eye.
: :
More Numbers : 4538264
Registration date : 2008-08-20

PostSubject: Swine Flu Causes US to Delcare Health Emergengy   Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:33 am

CDC: US begins border monitoring for swine flu .....

By LAURAN NEERGAARD, AP Medical Writer Lauran Neergaard, Ap Medical Writer – 23 mins ago

WASHINGTON – Amid surging worries about a global pandemic, the United States launched border screening for swine flu exposure Monday and a top federal health official said people should brace for more severe cases, "and possibly deaths."

Richard Besser, acting head of the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, revealed that American authorities were undertaking "passive screening" at its borders and reiterated the Obama administration's call for people to remain calm. Besser said that U.S. officials at border checkpoints were "asking people about fever and illness, looking for people who are ill."

"The U.S. declared a national health emergency Sunday in the midst of uncertainty about whether a mounting sick count really meant ongoing infections — or just that health officials had missed something simmering for weeks or months."

... More article info with in link.

I've never had that and I've never known any one that's had that, I'm pretty sure. ((((Knock on wood))))
Back to top Go down
View user profile
La Diva Carlotta
supernova

Scorpio Goat
Number of posts : 7860
More Numbers : 4479304
Registration date : 2008-07-23

PostSubject: Re: Swine Flu Causes US to Delcare Health Emergengy   Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:41 am

I'm actually very cnocerned about this. I think there are 8 confirmed cases here in the city. They even had to close down a school for a few days. sad or frown Scary stuff!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ravengrim

Virgo Rat
Number of posts : 7189
: : The Fallen Angel
More Numbers : 4580694
Registration date : 2008-07-21

PostSubject: Re: Swine Flu Causes US to Delcare Health Emergengy   Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:26 pm

I can remember the swine flu from when I was a kid.Gerald Ford was pretty adamant about there being a vaccine,and everyone I knew got one.I think if I remember correctly that more people died from the vaccine than from the accual flu.
I was little so my memories of that time aren't perfect,I might be wrong.

@themorrigan1972
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cynfullov
star member

Location : Wickedly at play while the GODS of HADES give an ever watchful grinning eye.

PostSubject: Re: Swine Flu Causes US to Delcare Health Emergengy   Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:44 pm

Your remembering it right. A lot did die from the vaccine. I should say, more than should have been, but to me any is a too high of number. I remember there being talk of shortages and people lining up to get it. I'm not one to go get flu shots.

They've updated the acrticle in that link I posted, but I was going to mention one of the pics that was shown of all these people wearing face masks. If it were to get to that point here I think it would have to be really bad.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
helen damnation

Gemini Number of posts : 5254
: : Satan's cheerleader
More Numbers : 4572007

PostSubject: Re: Swine Flu Causes US to Delcare Health Emergengy   Mon Apr 27, 2009 5:32 pm

Three confirmed cases in the UK! shock

Maybe it's just me but I always think that the media puts a hysterical slant on these things?

Well, the Devil he taught us how to rock and then he turned us loose
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ravengrim

Virgo Rat
Number of posts : 7189
: : The Fallen Angel
More Numbers : 4580694

PostSubject: Re: Swine Flu Causes US to Delcare Health Emergengy   Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:00 pm

What is Swine Flu? How Does an Animal Disease Spread to a Human Host?

Have you been watching the news at all recently? If so, you’ve probably heard the term “Swine Flu” bouncing around a lot. While most people come down with the normal human flu at some point, it’s not really a danger to anyone but the very young and the very old. Why is this flu different and what does it have to do with pigs?
Essentially, influenza (aka, “The Flu”) is a viral infection that attacks our population in a yearly cycle. Fortunately, the human immune system is there to recognize and neutralize the effects of the virus. Each year, the virus mutates just slightly and most of the population is once again susceptible to the disease. This is why a new vaccine must be created regularly to reflect the most recent influenza mutants out in the environment. Under normal circumstances, this is all you need to know about the flu (aside from how to avoid infection and take care of yourself if you do come down with it).
Recently, some changes in the status quo have raised alarm bells at the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) and the World Health Organization (WHO). There have been reports of “swine flu” in Mexico and several other countries whose citizens regularly visit Mexico, including the United States. Since this is a general information article and not a “minute by minute” report, refer to major news outlets for more accurate information regarding confirmed cases. As of this moment, though, it looks like over 80 deaths in Mexico are the result of contact with swine flu and there have been confirmed cases of the new pathogen in New York, Ohio, Kansas, California, and possibly other states.
Putting the news figures aside for a moment, let me explain exactly what swine flu is. The influenza virus has a number of components, but the most variable parts of the virus are the spines found around its exterior. These are proteins called “peplomers” and there are two major kinds. The HA (hemagglutinin) peplomer is responsible for binding the virus to host cells and the NA (neuraminidase) peplomer allows the virus to break its bonds to the host cell once it is ready to move on. When you hear about the H1N1 virus or the H3N2 virus, the viruses are being referred to and classified by their external receptors. This is a bit of a simplification, but knowing the chemical nature of the peplomers isn’t crucial to understanding their function.
The peplomers are a double edged sword. They allow the viral particles access to the machinery of the cell (this is how viruses replicate themselves), but they also allow the immune system to recognize and target the virus. When the human flu virus mutates its external proteins, the body’s defenses still recognize them and eventually mount a response (the period of sickness occurs while the body is developing that response). If this failed to happen, you would eventually succumb to the virus and die.
The virus didn’t originate in humans, though. Birds, pigs, and even horses have their own versions of influenza. Remember the “bird flu” or “avian flu” scare a while ago? Scientists feared the influenza common in birds had “jumped the species barrier” and begun infecting humans. This is called a “zoonotic” disease - a disease that moves from animals to people. Now, the same worries have arisen about swine flu. Why does this matter? Won’t our immune system just deal with the new influenza virus the same way it has always done with the seasonal one?
Unfortunately the answer is a weak “maybe.” While your immune system might not immediately stop a new human influenza infection, it DOES recognize that new mutant and begin building a response. Avian and swine peplomers, on the other hand, are not easily recognized by the human system because our evolution did not include pressure from those particular viruses. As humans have come into close contact with the animals that carry these viruses, the animal influenza has been able to mutate enough to cross the species bridge and infect humans as well. In the past this would not have been a global problem. An infected village might just die out in isolation. Things are different now: a traveler can become infected in one region and fly thousands of miles to another, long before they experience symptoms.
So what’s the take away message from all of this? Can we do anything about this? Well as individuals it’s wise to go through the same sanitary practices as we might during flu season. Also, traveling to places which have reported cases probably isn’t a great idea. Governments and regulatory bodies like the CDC and the WHO are in an “all hands on deck” kind of status right now. As the outbreaks continue (they are expected to grow for at least the time being), these groups will be tracking any reported cases and trying to treat those infected.
As a young microbiologist, I’d say that for the moment we shouldn’t worry too much. There are people who have spent their whole lives preparing for just these kinds of events and they’re currently working very hard to provide the public with the best information and advice. Hopefully you now have a better understanding of the science behind influenza and zoonotic diseases. I’ve put some links at the bottom of this posting for further reading.

Track the Swine Flu Outbreaks on Google Maps

10 Things You Should Know about Swine Flu

@themorrigan1972
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MoonRaven

Cancer Pig
Number of posts : 9359
: : Geisha
More Numbers : 4573312

PostSubject: Re: Swine Flu Causes US to Delcare Health Emergengy   Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:18 pm

That's crazy!!
I think there are 6 in Canada but none in my Province.

supernova

Scorpio Goat

PostSubject: Re: Swine Flu Causes US to Delcare Health Emergengy   Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:01 am

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Emmature

Virgo Pig
Number of posts : 1038
More Numbers : 4252765
Registration date : 2009-01-08

PostSubject: Re: Swine Flu Causes US to Delcare Health Emergengy   Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:09 am

The cases in Texas are about 15 miles from my house.

I considered calling in today with "strange flu-like symptoms", but really I was just tired and I decided it was less funny than I thought.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
La Diva Carlotta
supernova

Scorpio Goat

PostSubject: Re: Swine Flu Causes US to Delcare Health Emergengy   Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:14 am

My boss is out with the flu. shock
Back to top Go down
View user profile
chelseagirl

Leo Cat
Number of posts : 311
More Numbers : 4456542
Registration date : 2008-08-05

PostSubject: Re: Swine Flu Causes US to Delcare Health Emergengy   Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:56 pm

It's pretty scary. I do wonder though why there have been so many deaths from it in Mexico, but the people who catch it in the US recover.

I've read a lot of medical thriller books about pandemics and doomsday viruses (i.e., Hot Zone, Cobra Event, Year Zero, etc - good stuff!), it's quite scary.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RedAngel
star member

Leo Snake
Number of posts : 5385
More Numbers : 4307279
Registration date : 2008-11-30

PostSubject: Re: Swine Flu Causes US to Delcare Health Emergengy   Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:46 pm

Seriously. Physical problems like viruses are enemies you can't outrun. Embarassed
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://gracestudios.deviantart.com/
cynfullov
star member

PostSubject: Re: Swine Flu Causes US to Delcare Health Emergengy   Tue Apr 28, 2009 4:26 pm

La Diva Carlotta wrote:
Pandemic game LOL
Wink And no supervillian's license required!

Oprah is supposed to have something on her show today about the swine flu.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
helen damnation

Gemini Number of posts : 5254
: : Satan's cheerleader
More Numbers : 4572007

PostSubject: Re: Swine Flu Causes US to Delcare Health Emergengy   Tue Apr 28, 2009 4:45 pm

Would people be so afraid if they called it the Piggly Wiggly Bug? Laughing

Well, the Devil he taught us how to rock and then he turned us loose
Back to top Go down
View user profile
beautyindecay

Number of posts : 125
More Numbers : 4456366

PostSubject: Re: Swine Flu Causes US to Delcare Health Emergengy   Tue Apr 28, 2009 6:05 pm

Great,
I live like 10 minutes away from the border,
The border agents have raised security, and Im warning my husband not to go to tijuana for now.

There are 20 cases in san diego.

Im going to wash my hands like crazy now.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://myspace.com/sarahhdz
Succubus
supernova

Libra Tiger
Number of posts : 6201
More Numbers : 4424743
Registration date : 2008-08-29

PostSubject: Re: Swine Flu Causes US to Delcare Health Emergengy   Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:29 pm

Its terrible to hear about so many getting sick from this virus. Neutral
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cynfullov
star member

PostSubject: Re: Swine Flu Causes US to Delcare Health Emergengy   Wed Apr 29, 2009 9:38 am

chelseagirl wrote:
It's pretty scary. I do wonder though why there have been so many deaths from it in Mexico, but the people who catch it in the US recover.

Why Only Deaths In Mexico Article

I'd been wondering that too, but I thought it was probably due to lack of medicines and just all round not being in the best of health to begin with. Poverty..not much food. This article has some of the stuff ravengrim posted on to about what this flu is made up of.

First US Death From Swine Flu Confirmed

ATLANTA, Georgia (CNN) -- A child in Texas has become the first fatality from swine flu in the United States, the acting director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said Wednesday.

Dr. Richard Besser, acting director of the CDC, confirms the first U.S. death from swine flu. "I can confirm the very sad news out of Texas that a child has died of the H1N1 virus," the CDC's Dr. Richard Besser said. "As a parent and a pediatrician, my heart goes out to the family."

He said the child was about 2 years old. Six of the 64 confirmed swine flu cases in the United States have been reported in Texas, according to the CDC. Besser said the CDC is not changing its recommendations as a result of the confirmed swine flu death.

"I expect we'll see more cases," Besser said. "And as we do, we'll learn more about this, and if there needs to be more stringent or less stringent recommendations, we'll be making those."

The only other confirmed swine flu deaths have been seven in Mexico, out of more than 112 confirmed swine flu cases worldwide. "Given what we've seen in Mexico, we have expected that we would see more severe infections and would see deaths," Besser said. However, he stressed that people should maintain their perspective on the swine flu outbreak.

"Seasonal flu each year causes tens of thousands of deaths in this country -- on average, about 36,000 deaths," Besser said. "And so this flu virus in the United States, as we're looking at it, is not acting very differently from what we saw during the flu season."

Meanwhile, health officials said they think they may have found "patient zero" in the global outbreak in a village in the mountains of Mexico. Five-year-old Edgar Hernandez survived the earliest documented case of swine flu in an outbreak that has spread across four continents. His family lives in the 3,000-person village of La Gloria in the state of Veracruz, where a flu outbreak was reported on April 2.

Lab tests confirmed that Edgar was the only patient in Veracruz to test positive for the swine flu virus; the others had contracted a common flu. Health officials had returned to Edgar's sample only after cases of the new flu strain were spotted around the country. "In this case, there's a patient who turned out to be positive for the swine flu virus, with the exception that at that time in no region of the world it had been established as an etiological, epidemic cause," said Mexican Health Secretary Jose Angel Cordova. Edgar has recovered and playfully credits ice cream for helping him feel better.

Mexican health officials suspect the swine flu outbreak has caused at least 159 deaths and roughly 2,500 illnesses. As of Wednesday morning, the World Health Organization said at least 112 cases have been confirmed worldwide. It was not clear whether the U.S. death was included in that figure. The agency did not provide a breakdown of the cases by country Wednesday. On Tuesday it listed 105 cases, including those in the United States, Mexico, Canada, Israel, Spain and the United Kingdom. Additional cases have been reported in Germany and Costa Rica.

The outbreak in Mexico prompted authorities to order about 35,000 public venues in Mexico City to close or serve only takeout meals as health officials tried to contain the virus. Officials in Mexico City also ordered the closing of bars, clubs, movie theaters, pool halls, theaters, gyms, sport centers and convention halls until May 6, said Juan Jose Garcia Ochoa, a top city government official. Officials closed schools in the city Friday and extended that order nationwide Monday until at least May 6.

"I'm pretty nervous of this whole virus thing," Berta Hernandez said as she touched up her eyeliner inside a packed and humid subway car in Mexico City. She did not dare lift her surgical mask to put on lip gloss. "I'm nervous of the people who aren't wearing masks. Maybe they will suddenly sneeze or cough," she said.

Governments around the world scrambled to prevent further outbreak. Some, like China and Russia, banned pork imports from the United States and Mexico, even though the World Health Organization said the disease "has not been shown to be transmissible to people through eating properly handled and prepared pork [pig meat] or other products derived from pigs." Several others, such as Japan and Indonesia, used thermographic devices to test the temperature of passengers arriving from Mexico.

The Philippines' health department urged people to avoid kissing and hugging in public. Argentina announced a five-day ban on flights from Mexico. Four cruise lines -- Holland America, Royal Caribbean, Norwegian and Princess -- canceled upcoming calls to Mexican ports.

President Obama has said the outbreak is a cause for concern, not for alarm. The U.S. government urged travelers to avoid nonessential travel to Mexico. The U.S. Food and Drug Administration issued emergency authorization for the use of two of the most common antiviral drugs, Tamiflu and Relenza. The authorization allows the distribution of the drugs by a broader range of health-care workers and loosens age limits for their use.

Swine influenza, or flu, is a contagious respiratory disease that affects pigs. When the flu spreads person-to-person, instead of from animals to humans, it can continue to mutate, making it harder to treat or fight, because people have no natural immunity. Symptoms include fever, runny nose, sore throat, nausea, vomiting and diarrhea.

Common seasonal flu kills 250,000 to 500,000 people every year worldwide, far more than the current outbreak of swine flu.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
chelseagirl

Leo Cat
Number of posts : 311
More Numbers : 4456542

PostSubject: Re: Swine Flu Causes US to Delcare Health Emergengy   Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:04 am

I'm definitely going to start taking Lysine daily. This is really scary!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
beautyindecay

Number of posts : 125
More Numbers : 4456366

PostSubject: Re: Swine Flu Causes US to Delcare Health Emergengy   Wed Apr 29, 2009 4:46 pm

If it gets worse, its time to bust out our gas masks and put them to actual use instead of asthetics. lol.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://myspace.com/sarahhdz
Ginger_Snaps

Leo Cat
Number of posts : 4538
: : Werewolf
More Numbers : 4478336
Registration date : 2008-07-22

PostSubject: Re: Swine Flu Causes US to Delcare Health Emergengy   Thu Apr 30, 2009 6:23 pm

They are asking people to not go to Mexico if it is just for leisure, but I think people should just avoid getting on planes because it doesn't matter if you are going to Mexico or the UK--if someone on the plane has the flu, you will most likely get it.

MoonRaven

Cancer Pig
Number of posts : 9359
: : Geisha
More Numbers : 4573312

PostSubject: Re: Swine Flu Causes US to Delcare Health Emergengy   Fri May 01, 2009 11:42 am

Yeah, if you had to go for business....I would clearly avoid there.

PostSubject: Re: Swine Flu Causes US to Delcare Health Emergengy   Fri May 01, 2009 12:48 pm

Quote :
....ion said at least 112 cases have been confirmed worldwide......
Common seasonal flu kills 250,000 to 500,000 people every year worldwide, far more than the current outbreak of swine flu.

So.... Why is everyone so freaked out?

Quote :
When the flu spreads person-to-person, instead of from animals to humans, it can continue to mutate, making it harder to treat or fight, because people have no natural immunity

This may be the kicker, but still nothing to go crazy over. Hell, being that anxiety ridden will actually make you more susceptible to getting sick. Take a deep breath, take some vitamin C, hell smoke some pot if that's what it takes. And if you do feel sick, just go to the doctor. That's most likely what went wrong with the people dying. They thought their common cures would handle it up to the point it was too late.
Back to top Go down
lollirot

Scorpio Snake
Number of posts : 769
: : Horror Aficionado
More Numbers : 4473507

PostSubject: Re: Swine Flu Causes US to Delcare Health Emergengy   Fri May 01, 2009 1:01 pm

^^ Nicely put.

I'm very tired of people talking about the swine flu everywhere I go. Most seem to be overreacting and the media is making it such a hype. Really. I'm going to start worrying once I see people start to drop over and die, on the spot. Other than that, it's time for people to lay back and stop overreacting.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Swine Flu Causes US to Delcare Health Emergengy   Fri May 01, 2009 1:45 pm

SWEET ZOMIE_NESS!!!

Swine Flu causes “zombism”

Quote :
After death, this virus is able to restart the heart of it’s victim for up to two hours after the initial demise of the person where the individual behaves in extremely violent ways from what is believe to be a combination of brain damage and a chemical released into blood during “resurrection.”

Let's do the MONSTER MASH!!!!

mummy mummy zombie attack zombie attack axe zombie attack zombie attack zombie zombie zombie zombie
Back to top Go down
cynfullov
star member

PostSubject: Re: Swine Flu Causes US to Delcare Health Emergengy   Fri May 01, 2009 2:31 pm

shock Oh My!

We should call it Zombie Flu then... since the "government" no longers wishes that "we" call it swine flu, but H1N1 :?

Ah, sad or frown and the little one that had died in the US from the flu was actually here from Mexico to visit relatives. Four days after ariving he supposiedly came down with the flu, although I think it was possible he might have already had it without symptoms before getting here. He also was said to have had other health related problems. It doesn't make it anyless important or sad though. I just happened to read about that yesterday.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Swine Flu Causes US to Delcare Health Emergengy   

Back to top Go down

Swine Flu Causes US to Delcare Health Emergengy
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next