HomeHome  Main PageMain Page  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

So basically downtown blew up on Thursday....

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Morwenna
star member

Capricorn Cat
Number of posts : 3717
: :
More Numbers : 4792736
Registration date : 2008-07-23

PostSubject: So basically downtown blew up on Thursday....   Sun Mar 08, 2009 3:13 pm

http://www.cnn.com/2009/US/03/05/montana.blast/index.html?iref=newssearch

(CNN) -- An apparent natural gas explosion in downtown Bozeman, Montana, leveled three businesses Thursday morning, according to city and state officials.

"When we say gone, we mean gone. These three businesses are gone," said Montana Gov. Brian Schweitzer, who added that the state is providing help for clean up, and to businesses and residents who are affected.

One person remained unaccounted for Thursday evening, Bozeman Assistant City Manager Chuck Winn said.

"The situation remains unsafe for anyone to enter," Winn said. "So in terms of a search -- we are unable to do so at this time."

Winn said city crews are making progress cleaning up the area, but the damage is great. He said a meeting was planned Friday morning to give business owners and residents information about when they can return.

"It literally looks like a bomb went off in downtown Bozeman," he said. iReport.com: Photos from the scene

"Roofing material, construction material is scattered for three or four blocks," he said. "It was a very violent explosion."

Schweitzer added that the situation would "not be over in 24 hours."

The blast occurred about 8:15 a.m. on the town's Main Street, Fire Chief Jason Shrauger told CNN.

The city government declared a local emergency after the blast. Initially, 11 people were reported missing, but 10 were later accounted for, Winn said.

It was not clear what triggered the blast.

And to add insult to injury, the next day my aunt's restaurant in Whitehall an hour away burned down. There was also an explosion, but they don't know exactly what the cause was. How's that for a great weekend? Very Happy

Last edited by Morwenna on Sun Mar 08, 2009 3:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MoonRaven

Cancer Pig
Number of posts : 9359
: : Geisha
More Numbers : 4892371
Registration date : 2008-07-21

PostSubject: Re: So basically downtown blew up on Thursday....   Sun Mar 08, 2009 3:20 pm

Ah man that sucks. I hope nobody got badly hurt.

star member

Capricorn Cat

PostSubject: Re: So basically downtown blew up on Thursday....   Sun Mar 08, 2009 3:27 pm

1 person is still missing from the Bozeman explosion. Nobody got hurt in Whitehall, but my aunt lost some very sentimental things that can't be replaced. sad or frown
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cynfullov
star member

Number of posts : 3919
Location : Wickedly at play while the GODS of HADES give an ever watchful grinning eye.
More Numbers : 4857323
Registration date : 2008-08-20

PostSubject: Re: So basically downtown blew up on Thursday....   Sun Mar 08, 2009 3:32 pm

That's horrid! It's as if there's somekind of leak in the gasline or is it sewage? Many years ago in a local mall here they had an explostion due to built up gases in the potty pipes! yeah boy! Embarassed Gees... Glad your ok!

They really need to find out what happened and soon! Your aunts restaurant being an hour away... if the explostions are connected then there's no telling what further damage, injuries and deaths could possibly happen. Like dominos, it could rip through the whole surrounding area. Gosh!

UPDATES! We want UPDATES!

*I hope they find that other missing person soon too.

Last edited by cynfullov on Sun Mar 08, 2009 3:45 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Morwenna
star member

Capricorn Cat

PostSubject: Re: So basically downtown blew up on Thursday....   Sun Mar 08, 2009 3:37 pm

Well there was also an earthquake near Whitehall at 4am Friday morning, my aunt's restaurant burned down around 11am. People were wondering if maybe the quake shook loose some gas lines or something, but they're still investigating. It could have been cause by a faulty furnace or something too.

The Bozeman explosion was definitely caused by gas. It actually exploded from underneath the building I think.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MoonRaven

Cancer Pig

PostSubject: Re: So basically downtown blew up on Thursday....   Sun Mar 08, 2009 3:40 pm

That sucks for your aunt. I would hate to lose sentimental things.
hug

supernova

Scorpio Goat
Number of posts : 7864
More Numbers : 4798367

PostSubject: Re: So basically downtown blew up on Thursday....   Sun Mar 08, 2009 6:19 pm

Man, that's some scary stuff. I hope no more terrible things happen over there.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Morwenna
star member

Capricorn Cat

PostSubject: Re: So basically downtown blew up on Thursday....   Sun Mar 08, 2009 7:19 pm

^Me too, they say these things come in 3s, but maybe that earthquake would count as the 3rd. I'm still a bit nervous about things, either way.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Vampira132

Gemini Tiger
Number of posts : 4606
: : The Victorian Woman in Black
More Numbers : 4886654

PostSubject: Re: So basically downtown blew up on Thursday....   Sun Mar 08, 2009 9:04 pm

Sorry to hear about your aunt and the explosion Morwenna; its awufl when things like this happen to your town, but thankfully no one died from the blast.

star member

Capricorn Cat

PostSubject: Re: So basically downtown blew up on Thursday....   Sun Mar 08, 2009 9:27 pm

Well, there might be one death from the Bozeman explosion. They're still missing.

To add injury to insult to injury, I just found out that my biology teacher fell and broke her hip.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MoonRaven

Cancer Pig

PostSubject: Re: So basically downtown blew up on Thursday....   Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:47 pm

^^ shock

star member

Capricorn Cat

PostSubject: Re: So basically downtown blew up on Thursday....   Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:32 pm

UPDATE!!!

I just found this-
http://bozemandailychronicle.com/articles/2009/03/09/breaking_news/90victimid.txt

And you know what's morbid? The victim's last name was Bowman. My aunt who just lost her restaurant's last name is Bowman. Embarassed
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MoonRaven

Cancer Pig

PostSubject: Re: So basically downtown blew up on Thursday....   Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:09 pm

How strange is that Shocked
The poor woman sad or frown

star member

Capricorn Cat

PostSubject: Re: So basically downtown blew up on Thursday....   Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:12 pm

^ I know right? And here's another weird coincidence- my aunt's restaurant was called the Legion Street Grill, and the American Legion building was destroyed here in Bozeman.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RedAngel
star member

Leo Snake
Number of posts : 5385
More Numbers : 4626338
Registration date : 2008-11-30

PostSubject: Re: So basically downtown blew up on Thursday....   Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:59 pm

Wow, that's an awful series of freak accidents! I know you must be anxious/tense, but I'm glad to hear you're OK overall.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://gracestudios.deviantart.com/
cynfullov
star member

Number of posts : 3919
Location : Wickedly at play while the GODS of HADES give an ever watchful grinning eye.
More Numbers : 4857323
Registration date : 2008-08-20

PostSubject: Re: So basically downtown blew up on Thursday....   Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:07 am

Aw.. I was so hoping they would find the missing person alive. Gods how sad. dead

The name & locations thing is a little Twilight Zone-ish! Still no word on what caused it or anything huh? Thanks for the update. Hopefully soon they'll know and beable to take measures so it won't happen again.

* Find them alive and not badly injured or at all.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Emmature

Virgo Pig
Number of posts : 1038
More Numbers : 4571824
Registration date : 2009-01-08

PostSubject: Re: So basically downtown blew up on Thursday....   Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:31 am

Oh, wow. I spent part of my youth in Bozeman and my little brother now lives in Montana, but he's so understated that I didn't realize that something so crazy had happened. Whoa. thanks for the update,
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: So basically downtown blew up on Thursday....   Tue Mar 10, 2009 3:01 am

Quote :
"It was a very violent explosion."

Is there such a thing as a non-violent explosion?

***That's really freaky. It's so sad about the Bowman man.... have you found out yet about the restaurant explosion?
Back to top Go down
Morwenna
star member

Capricorn Cat

PostSubject: Re: So basically downtown blew up on Thursday....   Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:40 am

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: So basically downtown blew up on Thursday....   

Back to top Go down

So basically downtown blew up on Thursday....
Page 1 of 1