HomeHome  Main PageMain Page  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Bettie Page...

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Vampira132

Gemini Tiger
Number of posts : 4606
: : The Victorian Woman in Black
: :
More Numbers : 5006137
Registration date : 2008-07-21

PostSubject: Bettie Page...   Sat Dec 06, 2008 7:04 pm

Bettie Page, a 1950s pinup known for her raven-haired bangs and saucy come-hither looks, was hospitalized in intensive care after suffering a heart attack, her agent said Friday.

"She's critically ill," Mark Roesler of CMG Worldwide told The Associated Press.

He said the 85-year-old had been hospitalized for the last three weeks with pneumonia and was about to be released when she had the heart attack Tuesday. Page was transferred to another hospital in Los Angeles and remained in intensive care Friday.

A family friend, Todd Mueller, said Page was in a coma. When asked to confirm, Roesler said, "I would not deny that," but he would not comment further on her condition.

Page, a secretary turned model, is credited with helping set the stage for the sexual revolution of the rebellious 1960s. She attracted national attention with magazine photographs of her sensuous figure that were tacked up on walls across the country.

Her photos included a centerfold in the January 1955 issue of then-fledgling Playboy magazine, as well as controversial sadomasochistic poses.

Page later spent decades away from the public eye, and during that time battled mental illness and became a born-again Christian.

After resurfacing in the 1990s, she occasionally granted interviews but refused to allow her picture to be taken.

Mueller credits his business dealings with Page for bringing her out of seclusion. He said he first met her in 1989 when he offered her "a bunch of money" to show up at autograph signings.

"I probably sold 3,000 of her autographs, usually for $200 to $300," he said. "Eleanor Roosevelt, we got $40-$50. ... Bettie Page outsells them all."

Article Here

Virgo Rat
Number of posts : 7192
: : The Fallen Angel
More Numbers : 5019240

PostSubject: Re: Bettie Page...   Sat Dec 06, 2008 8:01 pm

Bettie Page is a woman who has amazing style.This makes me sad.

"I never kept up with the fashions. I believed in wearing what I thought looked good on me."

According to PLAYBOY magazine, Bettie Page is "the Queen of Pin-ups. the model of the century, yet she remains one of its best kept secrets."

Mention her name to most, you get blank stares. Mention her name to some, you get a knowing look that rocks the room! As more and more people are learning, Bettie Page is a timeless legend, and also a conundrum, even to herself.

For those who understand who Bettie Page was, no explanation is necessary; for those who don't, maybe no explanation is possible. Why? Because Bettie Page was and remains an underground phenomenon, a puzzling "bad girl next door" cult figure - sort of our collective guilty pleasure.

Since she was PLAYBOY'S Miss January of 1955, one might think her time has come and gone. Not so. Bettiemania is huge and growing. Fashion designers copy her. More and more supermodels are inspired by her style and heart-breaking great looks. How many hundred Bettie Page Web pages are there, out there? Since August 9, 2000 this site alone has tabulated 626 million hits. Fans can't get enough of her. Fans want her. And fans find her.

Naughty and nice, pinup extraordinaire Bettie Page was hot, is hot, and likely will remain so in perpetuity. That's who she is, too.

If they made a movie of her enigmatic life - and someone just has - few would believe it. Bettie Page grew up, poor, in Nashville, Tennessee. Her mother didn't want her. Her father molested her. She was an exceptional student. She was raised in the Church.

The girl with the trademarked black bangs, fabulous killer curves, and sweet smile, grew up loving movies, and dreamed of a film career. She should have been the next Marilyn Monroe. But her story is an impossible incursion of near misses, bad luck and lost opportunities. Full of contradictions, some have called her "The Dark Angel," for good reason, and for more reasons than one. Sometimes Bettie Page's puzzling persona both attracts us and repels us at the same time.

In New York she drifted innocently into modeling, posing for camera clubs. That beautiful smile "suggested forbidden fruit as well as apple pie," said PLAYBOY. The charm, the appeal, the danger, the allure of those sensational photos is beyond what words can convey.

Without imagining the consequences on any conscious level, Bettie found that her provocative cheesecake photographs during the period of 1950 through 1957 violated all manner of sexual taboos and finally invoked a United States Senate Committee investigation.

Bettie Page never gave interviews, not even when her silent photos were ubiquitous. And then this pin-ultimate pin-up was gone -- vanished from view. Like Garbo, like James Dean, like Jean Harlow. It was a mystery. Had she died? Was she hiding? No one knew. Fantastic rumors abounded. Nearly four decades passed.

Eleven years ago the truth was revealed. While battling some fierce inner demons, the legendary Bettie Page had quietly, secretly fled New York and given her life to Jesus Christ. And incredible as it may seem, as yet another riddle in her complicated life, all this time Bettie Page was completely oblivious of her own profound impact upon America's sexuality and pop culture, not to mention the thriving industry that had arisen around her celebrated image.

Two examples: Dave Stevens created a comic book hero called "The Rocketeer," with a love interest clearly inspired by Bettie Page; Disney adapted it as a vehicle for Oscar-winning actress Jennifer Connelly. And the noted artist Olivia, who has been painting Bettie for a quarter century, was the first to successfully integrate her fetish imagery for a high fashion licensee, Fiorucci Jeans.

Through the years, to protect the privacy she craved, when people would recognize her and ask if she was Bettie Page, she'd answer, "Who's that?"

Who, indeed. Complex, contradictory, extremely intelligent, exquisitely pretty, naughty or nice, not even Bettie Page herself can tell us who she is, exactly how she got that way, and what it all means. She's one pin-up no one can pin down, although the mystery fails to deter millions of us -- and millions to come -- from trying.

Hugh Hefner says Bettie's appearance in PLAYBOY was a milestone, and that "she became, in time, an American icon, her winning smile and effervescent personality apparent in every pose. A kinky connection was added by Irving Klaw's spanking, fetish and bondage photos, which became part of the Bettie Page mystique; they were playful parodies that are now perceived as the early inspiration for Madonna's excursions into the realm of sexual perversion."

Despite having worked with but a single competent photographer, despite having thousands of her photographs destroyed on purpose following the congressional hearings, and despite so many extant photos surviving only as inferior copies of the originals, the transcendent beauty and playful yet dangerous personality of Bettie Page trumps all else and continues to inspire documentary films, designers' fashions, artists' fetishes, and fans' fantasies.

Who Is Bettie Page?

@themorrigan1972
Back to top Go down
View user profile
lollirot

Scorpio Snake
Number of posts : 769
: : Horror Aficionado
More Numbers : 4912049
Registration date : 2008-07-23

PostSubject: Re: Bettie Page...   Fri Dec 12, 2008 1:52 am

Well, ghouls and gent's...Bettie Page has passed away.

So sad. sad or frown

dead

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117997269.html?categoryId=25&cs=1
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Succubus
supernova

Libra Tiger
Number of posts : 6201
More Numbers : 4863285
Registration date : 2008-08-29

PostSubject: Re: Bettie Page...   Fri Dec 12, 2008 1:54 am

R.I.P Bettie Page .....our hearts go out to your family. hug
Back to top Go down
View user profile
angelofthenight
star member

Scorpio Tiger
Number of posts : 5158
: : The Pumpkin Queen
More Numbers : 4913610
Registration date : 2008-07-22

PostSubject: Re: Bettie Page...   Fri Dec 12, 2008 1:54 am

Oh no's!!!!! She will be missed so much! sosad
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.myspace.com/blkgothchick
cynfullov
star member

Number of posts : 3919
Location : Wickedly at play while the GODS of HADES give an ever watchful grinning eye.
More Numbers : 4976806
Registration date : 2008-08-20

PostSubject: Re: Bettie Page...   Fri Dec 12, 2008 2:00 am

R.I.P Betty ~ But she will never be forgotten.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Katànya

Pisces Buffalo
Number of posts : 51
More Numbers : 4911933

PostSubject: RIP Betty Page   Fri Dec 12, 2008 3:10 am

Today the 1950's pin-up queen Betty Page passed away at the age of 85.

She was so pretty, and I think she'll be sorely missed.

http://www.eonline.com/uberblog/b73000_pinup_queen_bettie_page_dead_85.html
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://lenlenchan.ath.cx
Vampira132

Gemini Tiger
Number of posts : 4606
: : The Victorian Woman in Black
More Numbers : 5006137

PostSubject: Re: Bettie Page...   Fri Dec 12, 2008 5:38 am

My deepest sympathies to the family of Ms. Page she will never be forgotten and will live on in our dark, gothic hearts.

R.I.P Bettie!

dead

Scorpio Rat
Number of posts : 445
More Numbers : 4912141

PostSubject: Re: Bettie Page...   Fri Dec 12, 2008 7:53 am

Wait a minute....it doesn't say she is dead....did I miss that?
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Bettie Page...   Fri Dec 12, 2008 8:18 am

Katànya wrote:
Today the 1950's pin-up queen Betty Page passed away at the age of 85.

She was so pretty, and I think she'll be sorely missed.

http://www.eonline.com/uberblog/b73000_pinup_queen_bettie_page_dead_85.html

^There you go, Ghost.
Man... Bettie Page was always my favourite pin-up model... she just had a natural flare for what she did back in the day. She was so good I can't even imagine time having aged her in the slightest and thanks to her photos... she'll live on in everyone's memories.
RIP Bettie
sosad
Back to top Go down
GhostRed

Scorpio Rat
Number of posts : 445
More Numbers : 4912141

PostSubject: Re: Bettie Page...   Fri Dec 12, 2008 9:44 am

OH, thanks Lex. That's what I get for reading white type on a dark background at 5:45 in the morning, hehe.

RIP Bettie! She will be such a beautiful ghost! candles
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ginger_Snaps

Leo Cat
Number of posts : 4545
: : Werewolf
More Numbers : 4916886
Registration date : 2008-07-22

PostSubject: Re: Bettie Page...   Fri Dec 12, 2008 3:30 pm

I received word from my Lit teacher this morning (who has been a big fan of Bettie) and it made me tear up. tear

Synth

Aquarius Horse
Number of posts : 578
More Numbers : 4912145

PostSubject: Re: Bettie Page...   Fri Dec 12, 2008 4:08 pm

wow. What a beautiful soul. Ya know. I think Aristotle would say she reached Eudemonia.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Maxmordon
star member

Aquarius Horse
Number of posts : 4066
: : Distopian Man
More Numbers : 4905710
Registration date : 2008-07-28

PostSubject: Re: Bettie Page...   Fri Dec 12, 2008 4:09 pm

sad or frown This is so devastating, the world has become a bit more ugly and less graceful
Back to top Go down
View user profile
helen damnation

Gemini Number of posts : 5254
: : Satan's cheerleader
More Numbers : 5010549

PostSubject: Re: Bettie Page...   Fri Dec 12, 2008 6:16 pm

Such a very sad loss to the World. She was an inspiration to girls with curves everywhere and she was just so beautiful and minxy. A true legend dead

Well, the Devil he taught us how to rock and then he turned us loose
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Bettie Page...   

Back to top Go down

Bettie Page...
Page 1 of 1