HomeHome  Main PageMain Page  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

The Power of Belief

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage

PostSubject: The Power of Belief   Fri Oct 03, 2008 10:27 am

For quite some time now I have been toying with the question of:
Did God create man or did man create God?

Some times the question evolves into broader non-specific religions... making God to be "religion" in general. Some times it follows an entirely different path.
For sake of this posting, we're going with the "entirely different path".

On an episode of Supernatural, a "spirit" was created from a made-up urban legend. Through power of mass belief (thousands upon thousands of individuals) the legend manifested to become real. Needless to say, as beliefs changed the manifestation also changed (such as how to "kill" it.)

One of the main themes of an anime series "Magic Knight Rayearth" the power of belief is the strongest force in Cephiro. Through belief, anything can happen including "the impossible".

Beyond the realm of fiction, I'm certain there are many factual evidence in which the power of belief has proven itself. Perhaps, maybe, because "belief" is relative?
*Anyways, before this is dismissed based on the fictional examples... I'd like to point out that even the strangest of fiction can often have factual basis. Not to mention that Science Fiction has also inspired things (such as technology, space exploration, etc.) within reality.

So I find myself wondering... just how far does the power of belief really go?
Is it limited to one individual? That an individual's belief will be perceived only through that individual's "eyes"? That the same experiences can't or may not be shared with others?
Or is it possible that "belief" can manifest? Cause some form of influence within our reality?

Are miracles a result of Angels, coincidence/chance/luck, or a result of strong belief?
Did God exist before man, not at all, or is a result of such massive amount of belief that "he" does now exist? And if this is possible, could the same not be said for other religions and their "god(s)/goddess(es)"?

Personally, I feel the power of belief is something that should be taken seriously into consideration.
While I can't be certain, I suspect the majority of "unexplained" events (miracles, hauntings, etc.) is a result of one/many strong beliefs. That there's a dormant power within ourselves... be it a soul, aura, or something we cannot fathom... and that "belief" may be a key into unlocking it... perhaps tapping into our subconscious minds and taking form, being directed, etc.

The Power of Belief: A force to be reckoned with or simply an act of humanity to deal/cope with Life?
Back to top Go down
ravengrim

Virgo Rat
Number of posts : 7185
: : The Fallen Angel
: :
More Numbers : 4539987
Registration date : 2008-07-21

PostSubject: Re: The Power of Belief   Fri Oct 03, 2008 9:45 pm

Are you talking about tulpas specificly or are you just asking for a personal opinion?

I think thoughts can absolutly affect reality.
And I believe that Tulpas are real.

@themorrigan1972
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: The Power of Belief   Fri Oct 03, 2008 9:48 pm

Just looking for personal opinion; was using the Tulpas as a base example and working out to a more broader perspective about how else "belief" can "manifest" or influence our reality.

Do find it interesting... even if God didn't originally exist, considering how many millions of people believe in "Him" and other higher powers, through belief and spiritual energy I'm certain "He"/they do exist and have for quite some time as a result.
This being true, more than likely, the afterlife will be whatever we believe it to be.
If we believe in 100 virgins then that's what we'll get.
If we believe we're going to Hell then that's what we'll get.

Hmm... I wonder if reincarnation would be possible through the same method.
Or if the individual belief/thoughts are strong enough to significantly influence our world or if it has to be a mass collective though...
Back to top Go down
ravengrim

Virgo Rat

PostSubject: Re: The Power of Belief   Fri Oct 03, 2008 9:57 pm

Well being a Buddhist ,I can say that I have seen a monk do things that other people couldn't attempt.
I've seen a monk go into a sort of medatative state and not move or eat or speak for an entire week.The power of his belief was so strong that he could sustain himself just on belief alone,a less strong person would have given into hunger or thirst before that.
I'm sure it has to do with the way they meditate,but they can achieve such amazing things.

@themorrigan1972

Last edited by ravengrim on Fri Oct 03, 2008 10:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: The Power of Belief   Fri Oct 03, 2008 10:07 pm

Wow...
I should become a monk... try to reach the maximum potential my human body/spirit can attain.
I think there's two ways to go about (and both "could" probably be done to even further oneself.) They say the human brain only uses 10-20% of its maximum potential; it's possible that by tapping further abilities such as foresight, esp, astral projection, etc. can be experienced.
Then there's the "monk method" of meditation which feels more of a spiritual enlightenment more than a mental enlightenment - perhaps it's a combination?

*sigh*
Humanity has come so far... yet has so far to go...
If I can't be reincarnated then I hope I'll be able to at least witness through observation just how far we can "evolve".
Back to top Go down
ravengrim

Virgo Rat

PostSubject: Re: The Power of Belief   Fri Oct 03, 2008 10:34 pm

I want to say anyone can do it,but that might not be entirely accurate.Anyone can do anything given enough time and practice.Everyone has the ability to change themselves,it just takes time and dedication.
Ir kind of reminds me of those old schlocky informercials for Tony Robins if you can see it and believe it then you can be it.Same sort of thing I guess.
In everything there should be some sort of balance though,mental awareness and spiritual enlightnment can work together.
Once you do something like that though it's a lifelong process.Dedicating yourself to something like that,is bound to be hard in Western culture.

@themorrigan1972
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ravengrim

Virgo Rat

PostSubject: Re: The Power of Belief   Sun Oct 05, 2008 4:23 pm

I saw this article and thought it was really relevent to what you were asking about before.

@themorrigan1972
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ginger_Snaps

Leo Cat
Number of posts : 4527
: : Werewolf
More Numbers : 4437621
Registration date : 2008-07-22

PostSubject: Re: The Power of Belief   Thu Oct 09, 2008 10:29 pm

My answer: man created god.