HomeHome  Main PageMain Page  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Why Vampires?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage

PostSubject: Re: Why Vampires?   Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:16 pm

^Keep with it hon.. I've read them all. They get LOADS better. The first is good..the second is stellar, and the third is so-so... the fourth is great. dance
Back to top Go down
Dark Gentleman

Pisces Pig
Number of posts : 394
: :
More Numbers : 4235794
Registration date : 2008-07-29

PostSubject: Re: Why Vampires?   Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:22 pm

ravengrim wrote:
No Queen Of The Damned was somewhat better than Interview With A Vampire was.
Besides Stuart Townsend made a much better Lestat than Tom Cruise.

I agree, Tom was too flamboyant in a sense.

Pete was less tense and went with the flow of playing Lesat. clap
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Gomez

Gemini Snake
Number of posts : 34
More Numbers : 4209498
Registration date : 2008-08-17

PostSubject: Re: Why Vampires?   Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:58 pm

I hate vampires a lot, but as I read through the forum here, I understand why we differ on this point.

Anne Rice didn't write about what I'd call "vampires" nor did Underworld have anything to do with them.

See when I hear the word "vampire" I don't automatically picture the modern, romanticized version of them that Rice writes about. I'm more familiar with the older, folkloric vampires, which are just awful. Real vampires make an appearance in Interview with the Vampire (the only one in the series I've read); she calls them "revenants" which also struck me as weird, since a "revenant" is just a person who comes back (like from the store or something), but it's often used to mean a ghost, as in someone who comes back from the other side of death--an apparition. Seeing it applied to undead (as in walking corpses as opposed to bodiless spirits) was just weird from my point of view.

I guess that's why I never got into modern vampire legends. They have the name "vampire" still even though they don't really resemble vampires except for the sucking blood part. I do love stories about vampire hunters though. Dracula is awesome. Movies about it blow goats, and I don't care which ones you're talking about. The only Dracula movies I like, that I've seen, are Nosferatu just because the photography and effects are so amazing (yeah, I know it wasn't "Dracula" in the plot because of copyright, but it was totally Dracula) and Satanic Rites of Dracula with Christopher Lee because it was so awful that it's hilarious. I own it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Why Vampires?   Thu Aug 21, 2008 12:05 am

Dark Gentleman wrote:
ravengrim wrote:
No Queen Of The Damned was somewhat better than Interview With A Vampire was.
Besides Stuart Townsend made a much better Lestat than Tom Cruise.

I agree, Tom was too flamboyant in a sense.

Fop was the word I would choose. tongue
Back to top Go down
MoonRaven

Cancer Pig
Number of posts : 9359
: : Geisha
More Numbers : 4343537
Registration date : 2008-07-21

PostSubject: Re: Why Vampires?   Thu Aug 21, 2008 12:42 am

He was just plain wrong for the part.

Leo Cat
Number of posts : 4519
: : Werewolf
More Numbers : 4248542
Registration date : 2008-07-22

PostSubject: Re: Why Vampires?   Thu Aug 21, 2008 12:54 am

Gomez wrote:
I hate vampires a lot, but as I read through the forum here, I understand why we differ on this point.

Anne Rice didn't write about what I'd call "vampires" nor did Underworld have anything to do with them.

See when I hear the word "vampire" I don't automatically picture the modern, romanticized version of them that Rice writes about. I'm more familiar with the older, folkloric vampires, which are just awful. Real vampires make an appearance in Interview with the Vampire (the only one in the series I've read); she calls them "revenants" which also struck me as weird, since a "revenant" is just a person who comes back (like from the store or something), but it's often used to mean a ghost, as in someone who comes back from the other side of death--an apparition. Seeing it applied to undead (as in walking corpses as opposed to bodiless spirits) was just weird from my point of view.

I guess that's why I never got into modern vampire legends. They have the name "vampire" still even though they don't really resemble vampires except for the sucking blood part. I do love stories about vampire hunters though. Dracula is awesome. Movies about it blow goats, and I don't care which ones you're talking about. The only Dracula movies I like, that I've seen, are Nosferatu just because the photography and effects are so amazing (yeah, I know it wasn't "Dracula" in the plot because of copyright, but it was totally Dracula) and Satanic Rites of Dracula with Christopher Lee because it was so awful that it's hilarious. I own it.

Amen brother. Almost all vampires of folklore are described as being corpse like and by no means are romantic. The only thing that would separate them from zombies is that they only suck blood and not eat the flesh.

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Why Vampires?   

Back to top Go down

Why Vampires?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2