HomeHome  Main PageMain Page  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Stoker experts bite back against Twilight and ‘Americanised’ teen vampires

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
ravengrim

Virgo Rat
Number of posts : 7179
: : The Fallen Angel
: :
More Numbers : 4421815
Registration date : 2008-07-21

PostSubject: Stoker experts bite back against Twilight and ‘Americanised’ teen vampires   Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:26 pm

Professor Bloom also regretted “the Americanisation of the vampire” to be found, for example, in Stephenie Meyer’s Twilight books, where “the dangerous violent aristocrat has become the dark boy no one talks to and who’s eternally 17”.

Speakers related Dracula to its original context of Victorian spiritualism, urban legends of a “monster” called “Spring-heeled Jack” and anxieties about religion, invasion and masculinity. Others looked at the novel’s reinvention everywhere from Turkey to Mexico and attempted to “rethink the menstrual vampire”, to explain why vampires are “as ubiquitous as the Big Mac” in the US and to decide whether “every generation gets the vampire it deserves”.

@themorrigan1972
Back to top Go down
View user profile
endless dark
admin

Sagittarius Monkey
Number of posts : 6429
: : Fearless Leader
More Numbers : 4416263

PostSubject: Re: Stoker experts bite back against Twilight and ‘Americanised’ teen vampires   Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:45 pm

Neutral twilight is not the "Americanized vampire", if anything Lestat and Spike are. Those twilight vampires are mormon vampires. Everyone seems to just gloss over the fact that Meyer's wrote a series about mormon vamps & werewolfs with mormon values and no ones spreading it so far. I kind of get what their saying though, we are just kind of making a vamp for everyone big-mac style.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.darkrealm13.com
ravengrim

Virgo Rat

PostSubject: Re: Stoker experts bite back against Twilight and ‘Americanised’ teen vampires   Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:56 pm

I sort of understand it as well.

But Lestat and Spike were at least scary sometimes,well until the last season or so of Buffy.

These guys study Stoker and Vampires though so I'd imagine they understand nuances about vampire literature that we never will.

I just can't grasp the appeal of Twilight myself.

@themorrigan1972
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ravengrim

Virgo Rat

PostSubject: Re: Stoker experts bite back against Twilight and ‘Americanised’ teen vampires   Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:01 pm

endless dark wrote:
Neutral twilight is not the "Americanized vampire", if anything Lestat and Spike are. Those twilight vampires are mormon vampires. Everyone seems to just gloss over the fact that Meyer's wrote a series about mormon vamps & werewolfs with mormon values and no ones spreading it so far. I kind of get what their saying though, we are just kind of making a vamp for everyone big-mac style.

LOLz

Sort of on the same topic

@themorrigan1972
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ginger_Snaps

Leo Cat
Number of posts : 4519
: : Werewolf
More Numbers : 4319444
Registration date : 2008-07-22

PostSubject: Re: Stoker experts bite back against Twilight and ‘Americanised’ teen vampires   Sat Apr 21, 2012 1:51 pm

I don't know. If it's not Nosferatu, then it's not a vampire.

The literary concept that a vampire has sex appeal is a relatively new one since most mythical vampires were essentially glorified zombies that had enough intelligence to stalk their prey instead of just chasing blindly at it.

RedAngel
star member

Leo Snake
Number of posts : 5374
More Numbers : 4148394
Registration date : 2008-11-30

PostSubject: Re: Stoker experts bite back against Twilight and ‘Americanised’ teen vampires   Sat Apr 21, 2012 2:00 pm

^^ I think the sexualization of vampires is an extension of the fears they represent: you could fall from grace despite your best intentions, thanks to the seductive capabilities of evil.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://gracestudios.deviantart.com/
deadcoldgothgirl
supernova

Sagittarius Snake
Number of posts : 6332
More Numbers : 4318261
Registration date : 2008-07-24

PostSubject: Re: Stoker experts bite back against Twilight and ‘Americanised’ teen vampires   Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:00 pm

I'm upset that I'm admitting this, but here we go. I read all of the books. At the time I was in that crappy relationship with anthony. I liked the books because I felt that rush of love and lust I missed from my relationship. When the movies started to come out and people were going insane over merchandise, I backed up. I liked the story line. I didn't think it should be taken seriously or reach that level of stardom. To this day I refuse to watch the movies.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.myspace.com/gothic_freak
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Stoker experts bite back against Twilight and ‘Americanised’ teen vampires   

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1