HomeHome  Main PageMain Page  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

New Zealand penguins in need of sweaters. Please help.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
La Diva Carlotta
supernova

Scorpio Goat
Number of posts : 7864
: :
More Numbers : 4512133
Registration date : 2008-07-23

PostSubject: New Zealand penguins in need of sweaters. Please help.   Thu Oct 20, 2011 12:37 pm

I thought this was hilarious.

Quote :
New York knitting community: you are needed. The New Zealand oil spill has left cute, little penguins in need of warmth and protection. A call has been put out for knitters to make penguin sweaters. Yes, PENGUIN SWEATERS. Undoubtedly, the most adorable thing you'll hear all week. According to Grist, a yarn store has even posted patterns for how to knit "penguin jumpers" (hold up, penguin jumpers is now the most adorable thing you'll hear all week), and they've included where the finished products can be sent.
The request (which is really really real), isn't the first of its kind, and Grist notes that "the woolens keep oil-soaked birds warm until they're well enough to be cleaned, and prevent them from nibbling oil off their feathers."

Details and further links can be found here:
http://gothamist.com/2011/10/19/psa_please_knit_these_penguins_some.php
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RedAngel
star member

Leo Snake
Number of posts : 5385
More Numbers : 4340104
Registration date : 2008-11-30

PostSubject: Re: New Zealand penguins in need of sweaters. Please help.   Thu Oct 20, 2011 3:07 pm

Awwww! grin As if blue penguins weren't cute enough! Hey, humans screwed up; least humans can do is give them some warm clothes until they get proper care. It sounds bizarre, no doubt about that, but if it helps, it helps.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://gracestudios.deviantart.com/
Ginger_Snaps

Leo Cat
Number of posts : 4540
: : Werewolf
More Numbers : 4511164
Registration date : 2008-07-22

PostSubject: Re: New Zealand penguins in need of sweaters. Please help.   Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:59 pm

Erm, aren't penguins already suited for the cold?

RedAngel
star member

Leo Snake
Number of posts : 5385
More Numbers : 4340104
Registration date : 2008-11-30

PostSubject: Re: New Zealand penguins in need of sweaters. Please help.   Fri Oct 21, 2011 10:07 am

Well, these little guys live in burrows underground, and it sounds like they're found in many of the same places as man, so I think they're more temperate than penguins from other regions. NZ doesn't really get winter as intensely as we do, in any case, with the exception of the mountains.

Going by the link: "the woolens keep oil-soaked birds warm until they're well enough to be cleaned, and prevent them from nibbling oil off their feathers." So the sweaters are partly for warmth, and partly serving the purpose of the cones that vets make dogs wear after surgery. Awww. Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://gracestudios.deviantart.com/
helen damnation

Gemini Number of posts : 5254
: : Satan's cheerleader
More Numbers : 4604832
Registration date : 2008-07-21

PostSubject: Re: New Zealand penguins in need of sweaters. Please help.   Sat Oct 22, 2011 5:37 pm

I saw this on a penguin related series on the BBC. Seeing so many people knitting for the little chaps was lovely. Sadly I cant knit otherwise they'd be inundated with jumpers! Very Happy

Well, the Devil he taught us how to rock and then he turned us loose
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New Zealand penguins in need of sweaters. Please help.   

Back to top Go down

New Zealand penguins in need of sweaters. Please help.
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
TheDarkRealm :: the threads :: D.I.Y.-
Jump to: