HomeHome  Main PageMain Page  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Latest topics
» I feel Happy
by endless dark Today at 3:12 pm

» Recent Acquisitions Thread
by Vampira132 Today at 4:53 am

» What Are You Currently Watching?
by ravengrim Yesterday at 10:17 pm

» Current Reads
by ravengrim Yesterday at 10:01 pm

» What is everyone doing at the mo?
by ravengrim Yesterday at 9:28 pm

» The General Rant/Bitch/Moan Thread.
by Ginger_Snaps Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:49 pm

» What Are You Listening To Now?
by endless dark Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:28 pm

» Random Thoughts
by Ginger_Snaps Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:55 pm

» Dream Thread
by endless dark Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:57 pm

» The Official Birthday thread!
by La Diva Carlotta Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:35 pm

» ^*^ Happy Halloween ^*^
by GhostRed Tue Oct 31, 2017 2:40 pm

» Three Word Story
by shortpsycho Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:06 pm

» What Game Are You Playing?
by Madelchai Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:41 am

Like/Tweet/+1
Most Viewed Topics
Random Thoughts
The General Rant/Bitch/Moan Thread.
What is everyone doing at the mo?
I feel Happy
The funny pages
The General Rant/Bitch/Moan Thread.
The Official Birthday thread!
What's The Last Movie You Saw?
Post Random Pictures of yourself!
Recent Acquisitions Thread
Similar topics

Share | 

Waco, TX vs. Bill Nye

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
    AuthorMessage
    Madelchai
    vip member

Sagittarius Rooster
    Number of posts : 1318
    : :
    More Numbers : 4477134
    Registration date : 2008-07-21

PostSubject: Waco, TX vs. Bill Nye   Tue Apr 26, 2011 1:43 am

http://www.thinkatheist.com/profiles/blogs/bill-nye-bood-in-texas-for

Quote :
    "Bill Nye, the harmless children's edu-tainer known as "The Science Guy," managed to offend a select group of adults in Waco, Texas at a presentation, when he suggested that the moon does not emit light, but instead reflects the light of the sun."
    Back to top Go down
    View user profile
    Ginger_Snaps

Leo Cat
    Number of posts : 4538
    : : Werewolf
    More Numbers : 4478336
    Registration date : 2008-07-22

PostSubject: Re: Waco, TX vs. Bill Nye   Tue Apr 26, 2011 3:33 am

That's nothing compared to Tennessee passing a law saying that science teachers must also teach creationism.

endless dark
    admin

Sagittarius Monkey
    Number of posts : 6451
    : : Fearless Leader
    More Numbers : 4575155
    Registration date : 2008-07-21

PostSubject: Re: Waco, TX vs. Bill Nye   Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:49 am

Madelchai wrote:
    http://www.thinkatheist.com/profiles/blogs/bill-nye-bood-in-texas-for

Quote :
    "Bill Nye, the harmless children's edu-tainer known as "The Science Guy," managed to offend a select group of adults in Waco, Texas at a presentation, when he suggested that the moon does not emit light, but instead reflects the light of the sun."
    No way, people in Texas... wait, people in WACO texas were offended by common knowledge? thats so shocking and unexpected from texas or the south in general. These people should just go to fat ho get a burger and chill for a few minutes... Then again they'd probably end up at the other place around the corner, she doesn't seem to understand levity.

Ginger_Snaps wrote:
    That's nothing compared to Tennessee passing a law saying that science teachers must also teach creationism.
    Thats really not that bad, creationism is just as misunderstood as darwinism. For example on some sticky's. Darwinism doesn't say "we came from apes" as a lot claim but it does say "we evolved from an apre LIKE creature" and Creationism doesn't say "god did it" but it does say "random chaose left alone to accidently make mutations doesn't explain the vast variety of life on earth something must be guiding"...

I tend to believe both and look no farther than the human being in and of our self as proof of both. From conception to birth we view an exceptionaly fast version or evolution as cells divide and a body and organs form. But at the same time something intelegent is guiding this and it isn't simply random chaos, be it genes or dna or whatever is the driving force it has the blueprints to what its forming in it...
    Back to top Go down
    View user profile http://www.darkrealm13.com
    WrappedinReflection
    star member

Virgo Cat
    Number of posts : 3077
    More Numbers : 4452806
    Registration date : 2008-08-09

PostSubject: Re: Waco, TX vs. Bill Nye   Tue Apr 26, 2011 2:36 pm

His name is Bill Nye "The Science Guy." What were these adults doing at this presentation if they knew he was going to speak in terms of science, but not specifically religious science? He even put in a point from the bible & the people still thought he was scoffing "God." Did they go because they thought he was going to be like he was on his show & talk in easy terms about how things are made & how the Earth works? I'm just confused at what these adults thought they were going to see/hear when they arrived.
    Back to top Go down
    View user profile https://www.viewbug.com/member/scphotographic

PostSubject: Re: Waco, TX vs. Bill Nye   Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:02 pm

I got this from the comments section... original article here.... apparently they went there to hear about global warming, exploration of mars, and energy consumption... And the religious crazies came why?
    Back to top Go down
    Ginger_Snaps

Leo Cat
    Number of posts : 4538
    : : Werewolf
    More Numbers : 4478336
    Registration date : 2008-07-22

PostSubject: Re: Waco, TX vs. Bill Nye   Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:01 pm

endless dark wrote:
    Ginger_Snaps wrote:
    Thats really not that bad, creationism is just as misunderstood as darwinism. For example on some sticky's. Darwinism doesn't say "we came from apes" as a lot claim but it does say "we evolved from an apre LIKE creature" and Creationism doesn't say "god did it" but it does say "random chaose left alone to accidently make mutations doesn't explain the vast variety of life on earth something must be guiding"...

I tend to believe both and look no farther than the human being in and of our self as proof of both. From conception to birth we view an exceptionaly fast version or evolution as cells divide and a body and organs form. But at the same time something intelegent is guiding this and it isn't simply random chaos, be it genes or dna or whatever is the driving force it has the blueprints to what its forming in it...

The reason why creationism does not belong in a science classroom is because you can not apply the scientific method to it and you cannot observe it (evolution on the other hand can be observed). Creationism is also religious because it focuses on Christian creationism and not the myths from other religions.

RedAngel
    star member

Leo Snake
    Number of posts : 5385
    More Numbers : 4307279
    Registration date : 2008-11-30

PostSubject: Re: Waco, TX vs. Bill Nye   Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:51 pm

With religion edging further and further into standard curriculum, and ensuing arguments because of people offended by science, I'm really starting to feel like I should have been born about half a generation back. I never thought I'd see all this, and it makes me feel old, as though I don't belong in this time at all.

I am never having kids. I can't bring them into this. More power to those who do have kids; it's looking like an uphill battle out there.
    Back to top Go down
    View user profile http://gracestudios.deviantart.com/

PostSubject: Re: Waco, TX vs. Bill Nye   Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:54 pm

^^^ I wouldn't mind kids.... just not in America.
    Back to top Go down
    RedAngel
    star member

Leo Snake
    Number of posts : 5385
    More Numbers : 4307279
    Registration date : 2008-11-30

PostSubject: Re: Waco, TX vs. Bill Nye   Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:57 pm

^^ Good point, actually.
    Back to top Go down
    View user profile http://gracestudios.deviantart.com/
    La Diva Carlotta
    supernova

Scorpio Goat
    Number of posts : 7860
    More Numbers : 4479304
    Registration date : 2008-07-23

PostSubject: Re: Waco, TX vs. Bill Nye   Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:09 am

RedAngel wrote:
    With religion edging further and further into standard curriculum, and ensuing arguments because of people offended by science, I'm really starting to feel like I should have been born about half a generation back. I never thought I'd see all this, and it makes me feel old, as though I don't belong in this time at all.

I am never having kids. I can't bring them into this. More power to those who do have kids; it's looking like an uphill battle out there.

Yup.
    clap clap clap clap
    Back to top Go down
    View user profile
    Spooky
    vip member

Scorpio Rooster
    Number of posts : 1421
    More Numbers : 4468178
    Registration date : 2008-07-28

PostSubject: Re: Waco, TX vs. Bill Nye   Sun May 01, 2011 9:58 pm

Ginger_Snaps wrote:
    endless dark wrote:
    Ginger_Snaps wrote:

The reason why creationism does not belong in a science classroom is because you can not apply the scientific method to it and you cannot observe it (evolution on the other hand can be observed). Creationism is also religious because it focuses on Christian creationism and not the myths from other religions.

Sadly people don't want to hear that, you know, truth. The idea of creation by design is based of nothing but speculation and hearsay, no factual evidence whatsoever. Very good point though, why don't we teach the Sumerian, Nordic, and Iroquoian creation myths in school then too.
    Back to top Go down
    View user profile http://www.fetishfactory.com
    Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Waco, TX vs. Bill Nye   

Back to top Go down

Waco, TX vs. Bill Nye
    View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
    Page 1 of 1