HomeHome  Main PageMain Page  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Dracula creator's relative seeks Dublin memorial

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
ravengrim

Virgo Rat
Number of posts : 7189
: : The Fallen Angel
: :
More Numbers : 4580694
Registration date : 2008-07-21

PostSubject: Dracula creator's relative seeks Dublin memorial   Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:02 pm

The Victorian Gothic novel Dracula is associated with the dense forests of Transylvania rather than the Georgian squares of Dublin, but the great great nephew of its Irish born author thinks that is an oversight.

In time for the centenary of Bram Stoker's death, which will be in 2012, Dacre Stoker has begun work to raise money to erect a memorial to his ancestor to join the statues and plaques commemorating Dublin's many other writers, such as James Joyce and Samuel Beckett.

"It's an oversight. There is no permanent memorial in his home city to this guy," Dacre Stoker, who lives in South Carolina, United States, told Reuters by phone.

Bram Stoker was born in 1847 in Dublin, where he lived until he moved to London when he was 31.

He attended Trinity College before working as a civil servant in Dublin Castle and as an unpaid theater critic for Dublin newspapers.

Of his several works of fiction, by far the best known is Dracula, published in 1897, in print ever since and made into numerous films.

Dacre Stoker, whose great grandfather was Bram Stoker's youngest brother, believes his ancestor must have drawn inspiration for his story of the undead, blood-sucking vampire from his early years in Dublin when his mother told him tales from Irish folklore.

There is also speculation he had his blood let as a child when suffering from a mystery illness.

Potent as the Dracula legend is, Dacre Stoker plans for the memorial to be a statue to the man Bram Stoker rather than his fictional character.

Dublin City Council has given initial agreement for a memorial and the next step is selection of an artist once enough seed capital has been raised.

A life-size statue would cost around 100,000 euros ($134,400) or more, a spokesman for the council said.

@themorrigan1972
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ginger_Snaps

Leo Cat
Number of posts : 4538
: : Werewolf
More Numbers : 4478336
Registration date : 2008-07-22

PostSubject: Re: Dracula creator's relative seeks Dublin memorial   Wed Mar 24, 2010 5:54 pm

Wait, he doesn't have a memorial yet? ...blasphemous.

helen damnation

Gemini Number of posts : 5254
: : Satan's cheerleader
More Numbers : 4572007
Registration date : 2008-07-21

PostSubject: Re: Dracula creator's relative seeks Dublin memorial   Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:20 pm

I'd definitely support a memorial to Stoker. I just cant believe that they dont already have one Shocked

Well, the Devil he taught us how to rock and then he turned us loose
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RedAngel
star member

Leo Snake
Number of posts : 5385
More Numbers : 4307279
Registration date : 2008-11-30

PostSubject: Re: Dracula creator's relative seeks Dublin memorial   Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:47 pm

^^ Me neither! Certainly overdue. I'd love to see the city commission the memorial from a sculptor who's a Dracula aficionado.

Very intriguing to speculate about the origins of Stoker's Dracula character.

What is Dacre Stoker doing in South Carolina??
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://gracestudios.deviantart.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Dracula creator's relative seeks Dublin memorial   

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1