HomeHome  Main PageMain Page  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Sophie

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Vampira132

Gemini Tiger
Number of posts : 4595
: : The Victorian Woman in Black
: :
More Numbers : 4567584
Registration date : 2008-07-21

PostSubject: Re: Sophie   Sun Oct 19, 2008 6:04 pm

helen damnation wrote:
At least people are still working to get the message across

http://www.officialdamned.com/ODsingle/docs/news/2008oct.htm hail clap

How kool..! Looks like it is spreading... Ohhhh Nosferatu heart

Cancer Pig
Number of posts : 9359
: : Geisha
More Numbers : 4573312

PostSubject: Re: Sophie   Sun Oct 19, 2008 6:05 pm

That's great!!!

PostSubject: Re: Sophie   Sun Oct 19, 2008 7:27 pm

OMG...
I'm speechless.
I remember reading about this a year ago after it happened...
And it's just as shocking now as it was then.
I still can't believe this has happened.
It breaks my heart and leaves my soul in tears that two innocents were attacked so brutally... the one pure soul, trying to protect the one she loved... had to die.

It's nauseating that people are still so cold, so cruel...
That humanity isn't even close to evolving past this...

I want to do something here... at my college... to share what happened... to make certain that something like this doesn't happen here...
I feel like I should do something, I want to do something...
Back to top Go down
cynfullov
star member

Number of posts : 3919
Location : Wickedly at play while the GODS of HADES give an ever watchful grinning eye.
More Numbers : 4538264
Registration date : 2008-08-20

PostSubject: Re: Sophie   Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:03 am

Here is an update that I found today in regards to the killers and their appeal..

[ http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2008/oct/30/uk-crime-sentence-goth-murder ]
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Synth

Aquarius Horse
Number of posts : 578
More Numbers : 4473603
Registration date : 2008-07-23

PostSubject: Re: Sophie   Wed Nov 05, 2008 5:23 am

The memorial for her at WGW was beautiful I will upload some pics at somepoint. there were so many people and the speaker was very good. I tried not to cry because of the stupid cameramen.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
helen damnation

Gemini Number of posts : 5254
: : Satan's cheerleader
More Numbers : 4572007

PostSubject: Re: Sophie   Thu Nov 06, 2008 6:51 pm

cynfullov wrote:
Here is an update that I found today in regards to the killers and their appeal..

[ http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2008/oct/30/uk-crime-sentence-goth-murder ]

It was always expected that he would get a reduced sentence as the original Judge had, in the opinion of others, given a harsh sentence in the first place. I usually don't condone violence but in this particular case......

Synth I would love to see the photos and I'm not surprised you wanted to cry. Everytime I hear more about this horrific crime I fill up. I think the original Judge was bloody awesome

Well, the Devil he taught us how to rock and then he turned us loose
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Sophie   Thu Nov 06, 2008 7:09 pm

My heart breaks every time I hear more as well... it's still shocking the world has become darker as the flame of one life has been extinguished because of hate. And yet, I feel such hate for the people who did this... such pure anger... I don't care if violence only leads to more violence, these people deserve to pay for what they did.
She had so much potential... and these mother f*ers took that away from her, not only extinguishing her light in the world but dooming themselves as well.

If my beloved will let me, I'd like to name one of our future daughters after Sophie... either as a first or middle name...
tear
Back to top Go down
helen damnation

PostSubject: Re: Sophie   Thu Nov 06, 2008 7:12 pm

What a lovely thought! In the meantime there are SOPHIE wristbands that you can wear. I bought one for myself and Vampira and we both wear them with pride. It's good when people ask about them because you can explain why you're wearing one.

I still bless my workmates who were frightened at the time that the same thing could happen to me - they all have SOPHIE bands too. Smile

Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Sophie   Thu Nov 06, 2008 7:14 pm

I'll have to get me and my beloved one of those bands... and you're right, people will ask "what's it mean" and you can Pay It Forward and expect at least one out of so many to do the same.
hug I'd die if anything happened to you Authie H....
Though, I feel sorry for anyone who tries to cross you... get the beating of their lifetime.
Back to top Go down
chelseagirl

Leo Cat
Number of posts : 311
More Numbers : 4456542
Registration date : 2008-08-05

PostSubject: Re: Sophie   Thu Nov 06, 2008 7:25 pm

At least his sentence wasn't reduced by all that much. But still, it sucks. sad or frown
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ravengrim

Virgo Rat
Number of posts : 7189
: : The Fallen Angel
More Numbers : 4580694

PostSubject: Re: Sophie   Sat Nov 29, 2008 10:06 pm

@themorrigan1972
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Synth

Aquarius Horse

PostSubject: Re: Sophie   Sun Feb 01, 2009 1:11 pm

Quote :
S.O.P.HI.E AND SYLVIA IN UK PARLIAMENT UPDATE

Hello everyone

Sylvia has asked me to update you on the visit to Parliament to meet MPs.

On the Monday Sylvia had been invited to meet Michael Gove MP for Surrey Heath and Shadow Secretary of State for Children, Schools and Families. Michael had invited Sylvia to meet him having met her and heard her speak at a fringe meeting at the Labour Party Conference in September 08.

The meeting was very productive and Michael was very informed about the murder of Sophie and the S.O.P.H.I.E.Campaign . He congratulated Sylvia on her work and was very impressed with her placing the campaign so firmly in education.

On behalf of David Cameron, the Conservative Party Leader, He invited her to join a panel of people, who like Sylvia, are trying to make make a difference to society after they have suffered great tragedy.

Sylvia said she would not be a "yes man" and would not be aligned to any one party but she would consider the offer carefully.

Michael is married to Sarah Vine, a journalist who writes a "beauty" column for The Times. Michael is to tell her about the S.O.P.H.I.E.make up that Illamasqua have created to support The Foundation. Hopefully she will cover the story of their support.

On the Tuesday we met our local MP's Greg Pope (Hyndburn) and Janet Anderson( Rossendale and Darwen). They had previously had an Early Day Motion (EDM) regarding the extension to the Hate Crime Bill. This had been suspended as the appeal proceeded. They discussed a new motion which will be laid down soon and they more importantly will table a long adjournment debate to discuss the issue further in The House of Commons. This will mean a minister will have to speak at the debate and therefore do their research into the issue.

They invited Sylvia back to discuss the issue further before the debate, hopefully to a cross party group. This is very important as the debate needs widening out to all involve all political parties.

They were all very supportive of the the work Sylvia and The Sophie Lancaster Foundation is doing. Greg knew exactly what we were talking about as when he was younger and in his "punk phase" he's good friend was seriously injured just for being a punk. Janet has given us a contact to hopefully help us get reduced train fares when we visit parliament, obviously a useful addition.

The Press Association interviewed Sylvia and took excellent photos outside The House of Commons (see our pics), the visit received a lot of coverage locally and was reported in the national press, sadly it co-incided with the day Obama was sworn in as president !

We will let you all know when the EDM and debate will tke place as you will be able to ask you MP to sign the EDM and attend and speak at the debate. This is crucial to the campaign as politically it is very important step to raise the profile and to get the Hate Crime Bill extended to include people from alternative sub-cultures. WE NEED YOUR SUPPORT !!!

While we were in London we met Denise from Bizarre to discuss how they will extend their Proud to be Different page and their support for the Foundation. This is brilliant news.

I will post another blog when I know more, so please keep looking on here.

We would love to know if you are planning any SOPHIE events, the Mutiny Punk festival in May and Bloodstock Metal festival in August are fully behind the Foundation and we look forward to hearing from you about any event you have in mind, gigs, fashion shows, sponsored events, be as inventive as you can !

keep in touch, your comments and messages are really important as we will use them to illustrate the issue of prejudice and we also ask journalist and politicians to look at them on here, so keep them coming !

Bye for now

Kate and Sylvia
Back to top Go down
View user profile
helen damnation

PostSubject: Re: Sophie   Sun Feb 01, 2009 6:45 pm

http://www.illamasqua.com/

Supported by a certain Mr David Vanian heart

Back on topic, Sylvia is a strong good woman striving for justice and she WILL be heard hail

Back to top Go down
View user profile
ravengrim

Virgo Rat
Number of posts : 7189
: : The Fallen Angel
More Numbers : 4580694

PostSubject: Re: Sophie   Wed May 06, 2009 10:11 pm

The mother of a woman murdered because she dressed like a Goth wants similar attacks to be classed as hate crimes.

Sylvia Lancaster's daughter Sophie, 20, was kicked to death in a park in Bacup, Lancashire, in August 2007.

Mrs Lancaster is meeting Justice Secretary Jack Straw to urge similar attacks to be reclassified.

"Society overall now needs to realise it's just as unacceptable to hate someone because they look different," Mrs Lancaster, of Rawtenstall, said.

Mrs Lancaster hopes that if similar crimes were classed as hate crimes, they would attract higher sentences.

Her daughter was stamped on and kicked in the head after drunk teenagers turned on her and her boyfriend Robert Maltby in Stubbylee Park.

Sylvia Lancaster is taking her fight to Jack Straw
The pair were attacked because they wore distinctive dark clothing typical of Goths. Mr Maltby survived the attack, but has been left with permanent physical and psychological damage.

"It's intimidating, it's frightening and it's wrong," she said.

"We want Jack Straw to bring the hate crime legislation into the 21st Century, and recognise that a high proportion of people that dress differently often face attack and abuse.

"It's every parent's worst nightmare. Most young people like to express themselves through their appearance - and why shouldn't they?

"What's more, we think the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) should have systems in place to officially record attacks motivated by hatred toward subcultures."

Two teenagers were given life sentences and three other teenagers were given indeterminate sentences of detention for public protection in April last year in relation to the attacks.

"If Sophie's attackers knew the full weight of the law would come down on them for that assault, perhaps they might have thought twice," Mrs Lancaster said.

At the Preston Crown Court trial in April last year, judge Anthony Russell QC described the murder as a "hate crime equal to all others".

@themorrigan1972
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RedAngel
star member

Leo Snake
Number of posts : 5385
More Numbers : 4307279
Registration date : 2008-11-30

PostSubject: Re: Sophie   Thu May 07, 2009 9:55 am

I agree that this should count as a hate crime. I've had some interesting debates on whether hate crimes should be separate from standard crimes, though. Not sure if harsher punishment can foster increased respect for people who are "different" -- maybe a better approach would be to have a tolerance/humanity class in school (alongside English and math and health, etc., seeing as how kids don't seem to get lessons in humanity at home) and just have more severe punishments for *all* violent crimes.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://gracestudios.deviantart.com/
Synth

Aquarius Horse

PostSubject: Re: Sophie   Thu Nov 19, 2009 3:59 pm

Back to top Go down
View user profile
cynfullov
star member

Location : Wickedly at play while the GODS of HADES give an ever watchful grinning eye.

PostSubject: Re: Sophie   Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:35 pm

Aw Synth hug That's lovely of you and your friends to do this.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RedAngel
star member

Leo Snake

PostSubject: Re: Sophie   Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:31 pm

Well done, Synth. candles A poignant performance.

I'll never understand the murder, but I guess that's a good sign. It means that what festers in the murderers doesn't reside in me. Or any of us, I'll bet.
Back to top Go down
cynfullov
star member

PostSubject: Re: Sophie   Wed Nov 25, 2009 6:39 pm

helen damnation wrote:
http://www.illamasqua.com/

Supported by a certain Mr David Vanian heart

Back on topic, Sylvia is a strong good woman striving for justice and she WILL be heard hail

'Beautiful' film of Goth murder

An animation based on the murder of a woman because she dressed as a Goth is to be broadcast on an international music channel.

Described as a "beautiful, yet haunting" work of art, it focuses on the murder of Sophie Lancaster, beaten to death in a Lancashire park in 2007.

It will be released on Thursday, which would have been her 23rd birthday, and shown on the music channel MTV.

Her mother, Sylvia Lancaster, is giving the film her full support.

She told BBC News: "It was quite shocking when I first saw it, and it was really upsetting but it needs to be, it is hard-hitting. (The film shows Sophie Lancaster and her boyfriend being attacked)

"She was attacked purely because she looked different. We want to use this film in school workshops and show how a fear of difference ended my daughter's life.

"Young people don't understand they see a visual thing and that's what their perceptions are.

"It is about getting underneath that and saying we are all human beings at the end of the day."

Sophie Lancaster who was 20 and from Bacup, Lancashire, was kicked to death in a park during a gang attack.

She died trying to protect her boyfriend, Robert Maltby, who was left injured in the attack.

Two teenagers were given life sentences and three other teenagers were given indeterminate sentences of detention for public protection in April 2008.

The film was commissioned by cosmetics firm Illamasqua which donates to the Sophie Lancaster Foundation, a charity set up in her memory by her mother.

Julian Kynaston from the firm said when he showed it to Mrs Lancaster, he said it was the "hardest thing" he had ever done.

"I have so much admiration for Sylvia she is such an inspiration, we sat together we watched it, she cried, I cried, her friend cried."

Last edited by cynfullov on Thu Nov 26, 2009 1:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Vampira132

Gemini Tiger
Number of posts : 4595
: : The Victorian Woman in Black
More Numbers : 4567584

PostSubject: Re: Sophie   Wed Nov 25, 2009 6:51 pm

Hopefully other chavs can watch this and think about what there kind really do to decent people.

PostSubject: Re: Sophie   Thu Nov 26, 2009 6:07 pm

Goddess bless her Mum

I dont mind admitting that I blubbed my eyes out watching tonight.

Happy Birthday and RIP sweetheart heart

Back to top Go down
View user profile
cynfullov
star member

PostSubject: Re: Sophie   Thu Nov 26, 2009 6:56 pm

Happy Birthday Sophie. hug
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RedAngel
star member

Leo Snake

PostSubject: Re: Sophie   Thu Nov 26, 2009 8:08 pm

Happy Birthday to Sophie; may she be at peace. candles

I'm so glad to see that she's not forgotten, and that the film is getting airplay by as huge a network as MTV -- and that it will be used as a teaching tool.
Back to top Go down
cynfullov
star member

PostSubject: Re: Sophie   Sat Jun 12, 2010 7:48 pm

Robert painting, raising funds for Sophie's Foundation

Sorry if this double posts. I'm having slight tech difficulties.
But I've doulbe checked the links url in this post and it's showing
up correct. And for some reason.. it won't let me delete the first post.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RedAngel
star member

Leo Snake

PostSubject: Re: Sophie   Sat Jun 12, 2010 7:55 pm

I can't imagine the pain he has felt, and the feelings he had to deal with to complete this collection of works.

I would really love to see the exhibition tour internationally.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Sophie   

Back to top Go down

Sophie
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next