HomeHome  Main PageMain Page  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Peta and Punxsutawney Phil

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
ravengrim

Virgo Rat
Number of posts : 7192
: : The Fallen Angel
: :
More Numbers : 4585950
Registration date : 2008-07-21

PostSubject: Peta and Punxsutawney Phil   Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:10 pm

PETA proposes robotic groundhog for Pa. festival

PUNXSUTAWNEY, Pa. -- An animal rights group wants organizers of Pennsylvania's Groundhog Day festival to replace Punxsutawney Phil with a robotic stand-in.

People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals says it's unfair to keep the animal in captivity and subject him to the huge crowds and bright lights that accompany tens of thousands of revelers each Feb. 2 in Punxsutawney, a tiny borough about 65 miles northeast of Pittsburgh. PETA is suggesting the use of an animatronic model.

But William Deeley, president of the Inner Circle of the Punxsutawney Groundhog Club, says the animal is "being treated better than the average child in Pennsylvania." The groundhog is kept in a climate-controlled environment and is inspected annually by the state Department of Agriculture.

Deeley says PETA isn't interested in Phil from Feb. 2 on, and is looking for publicity.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/53593572@N00/2239415039/

Maybe I'm just cynical,but I don't really believe that Punxsutawney Phil is abused in any way.
He just lives as a captive animal.
Once a year he is stressed but it seems like he is mostly free of stress and the normal dangers wild animals face on a daily basis.
I'm not sure that replacing him with an animatronic animal would be the way to go .

Speaking of groundhog's here is Punxsutawney Phil's newest forecast:

Phil Says Six More Weeks!

Phil's official forecast as read February 2nd, 2010 at sunrise at Gobbler's Knob:

Hear Ye Hear Ye Hear Ye

On Gobbler's Knob on this glorious Groundhog Day, February 2nd, 2010, Punxsutawney Phil, Seer of Seers, Prognosticator of all Prognosticators awoke to the call of President Bill Deeley and greeted his handlers, John Griffiths and Ben Hughes.

After casting a joyful eye towards thousands of his faithful followers, Phil proclaimed, "If you want to know next, you must read my text. As the sky shines bright above me, my shadow I see beside me. So six more weeks of winter it will be."

Gobbler's Knob?
Hmm
Laughing

@themorrigan1972
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Peta and Punxsutawney Phil   Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:12 pm

I support animal rights, but anything that involves PETA is basically a lost cause with me... Do they ever do anything that isn't odd/dumb/attention seeking?
Back to top Go down
Ginger_Snaps

Leo Cat
Number of posts : 4539
: : Werewolf
More Numbers : 4483590
Registration date : 2008-07-22

PostSubject: Re: Peta and Punxsutawney Phil   Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:42 pm

I don't really see a problem with picking up a ground hog once a year. Of all the things they should be persuing, they should go after the companies that labeled an item as using fake fur but really had real fur (like the link that Dog Soldier posted on Facebook a few days back).

PostSubject: Re: Peta and Punxsutawney Phil   Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:08 pm

^^^Yeah, that link was disturbing. I sometimes wonder how some people find those links. *cough**Ravengrim**cough** cough*
Back to top Go down
GothicScrybe
vip member

Aries Rooster
Number of posts : 2480
More Numbers : 4216302
Registration date : 2009-02-09

PostSubject: Re: Peta and Punxsutawney Phil   Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:28 pm

I have never had any use for PETA because if it's not high-profile and a way to get their name in the press, they aren't interested.

I've had a go at PETA twice now by mail. Once 15 years ago and once last year and the letter I got the second time was just as useless as the letter I got the first time.

While it takes money to run their organization, they also need to keep sight of the big picture and that's saving animals.

The last straw with me with them was when they send me a letter about cats being used in China, for fur.

Having had friends who taught overseas in China for many years, I can tell you...human life has little value there, let alone animals and while I am all for stopping such a barbaric atrocity as using cats for fur...some American companies accept trades with such lowlifes for the fur.

In America there are also virtually no 'real' laws stopping it unless the people get caught.

How about some education here first rather than focusing on China who doesn't even care about people...let alone animals? If China has no one to sell the fur to and if strict laws are enacted and enforced here, then China will have no market for it - at least not here. Then they can be focused one once we've eradicated the problem here first.

Anyway...PETA makes my blood boil.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://thelosttheforgottenthedamned.com/
Emmature

Virgo Pig
Number of posts : 1038
More Numbers : 4258017
Registration date : 2009-01-08

PostSubject: Re: Peta and Punxsutawney Phil   Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:03 pm

Groundhog Day coincides with the Wiccan holiday of Imbolc. Of course modern Wicca is somewhat its own creation, but this time of year was a turning point back in agrarian times. In early February the winter can go one way or another which is relavent when we're talking about seeds and calves. This modern world is built on cruel factory farms and fresh fruit flown from another hemisphere. The groundhog reminds us of our agrarian roots. As an animal loving vegetarian wiccan who grew up on a farm I can only cheer on our fuzzy little friend.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RedAngel
star member

Leo Snake
Number of posts : 5385
More Numbers : 4312531
Registration date : 2008-11-30

PostSubject: Re: Peta and Punxsutawney Phil   Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:46 pm

GS and Emma: Excellent points. You're both looking at the big picture in educated, well-thought-out ways.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://gracestudios.deviantart.com/
Ginger_Snaps

Leo Cat
Number of posts : 4539
: : Werewolf
More Numbers : 4483590
Registration date : 2008-07-22

PostSubject: Re: Peta and Punxsutawney Phil   Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:21 pm

Any American company caught using a substance or fiber that is not advertised as such (using real fur in lue of fake fur) can be fined for false advertising.

GothicScrybe
vip member

Aries Rooster

PostSubject: Re: Peta and Punxsutawney Phil   Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:16 pm

Ginger_Snaps wrote:
Any American company caught using a substance or fiber that is not advertised as such (using real fur in lue of fake fur) can be fined for false advertising.

IF it's enforced Ginger.

Places using fur like that anticipate getting busted eventually and so they are prepared.

If it saves them money, they are all for heinous means of obtaining fur.

It's like the dumping of toxic and medical waste in the ocean. Doing so saves the loathsome companies engaging in it, millions a year.

So what if they are fined a million dollars...or even 20 million if they're busted?

If they make/save over 100 million a year engaging in illegal activity, what's a few million dollars?

Same with the fur trade.
Back to top Go down
Emmature

Virgo Pig

PostSubject: Re: Peta and Punxsutawney Phil   Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:29 pm

^There's been a bit of buzz the last few days here in the DFW area because a court case (with Dallas based Neiman Marcus) has finally been settled. They said fur was synthetic that was actually from asian racoon dogs:

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/dn/latestnews/stories/020210dnbusneimanmarcusfur.d68e98e1.html

and here's the two-year old start of that court case on the Humane Society's website- worth checking out if only for the chart of animals and what they were being passed off as.

http://www.hsus.org/furfree/news/holiday_shoppers_real_fur_as_faux_122007.html
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GothicScrybe
vip member

Aries Rooster

PostSubject: Re: Peta and Punxsutawney Phil   Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:13 am

Emmature wrote:
^There's been a bit of buzz the last few days here in the DFW area because a court case (with Dallas based Neiman Marcus) has finally been settled. They said fur was synthetic that was actually from asian racoon dogs:

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/dn/latestnews/stories/020210dnbusneimanmarcusfur.d68e98e1.html

and here's the two-year old start of that court case on the Humane Society's website- worth checking out if only for the chart of animals and what they were being passed off as.

http://www.hsus.org/furfree/news/holiday_shoppers_real_fur_as_faux_122007.html

See what I mean?

Two years and it's just now settled. Will Neiman Marcus do it again? Probably because let's be honest...$25,000?

Good grief, I'm sure they amde more than that on the sale of the fur trimmed coats, so what are they out? Not a thing in the grand picture.

It's sick...all of it.
Back to top Go down
Emmature

Virgo Pig

PostSubject: Re: Peta and Punxsutawney Phil   Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:52 pm

I feel almost bad because I posted a story that made you mad(der), but I guess it's better to know the horror in the world than to be oblivious- only from a place of knowledge can we reach a place of power. Still, sorry to be the bearer of more bad news.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GothicScrybe
vip member

Aries Rooster

PostSubject: Re: Peta and Punxsutawney Phil   Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:54 pm

Emmature wrote:
I feel almost bad because I posted a story that made you mad(der), but I guess it's better to know the horror in the world than to be oblivious- only from a place of knowledge can we reach a place of power. Still, sorry to be the bearer of more bad news.

Not at all.

It's not like you told me something I don't already know.

The only thing I'm honestly surprised about is the low settlement figure.

I would think that over $100,000.00 would have been closer to the mark.

Looks like America's "let's turn a blind eye unless it's really something we're interested in" is worse than I'd thought.
Back to top Go down
Emmature

Virgo Pig

PostSubject: Re: Peta and Punxsutawney Phil   Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:18 pm

^yeah, and it's messed up that i haven't seen this story in the national news. Probably wouldn't've heard this if NM wasn't Dallas bassed
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GothicScrybe
vip member

Aries Rooster

PostSubject: Re: Peta and Punxsutawney Phil   Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:24 pm

Emmature wrote:
^yeah, and it's messed up that i haven't seen this story in the national news. Probably wouldn't've heard this if NM wasn't Dallas bassed

Bingo!
Back to top Go down
helen damnation

Gemini Number of posts : 5254
: : Satan's cheerleader
More Numbers : 4577259
Registration date : 2008-07-21

PostSubject: Re: Peta and Punxsutawney Phil   Fri Feb 05, 2010 7:06 pm

Emmature wrote:
Groundhog Day coincides with the Wiccan holiday of Imbolc. Of course modern Wicca is somewhat its own creation, but this time of year was a turning point back in agrarian times. In early February the winter can go one way or another which is relavent when we're talking about seeds and calves. This modern world is built on cruel factory farms and fresh fruit flown from another hemisphere. The groundhog reminds us of our agrarian roots. As an animal loving vegetarian wiccan who grew up on a farm I can only cheer on our fuzzy little friend.

clap

I didnt know much about Groundhog Day apart from that godawful film

Well, the Devil he taught us how to rock and then he turned us loose
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Emmature

Virgo Pig

PostSubject: Re: Peta and Punxsutawney Phil   Sun Feb 07, 2010 12:30 am

^Thanks, Helen! But I kinda like that movie tongue
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DarkDreamer

Pisces Horse
Number of posts : 933
More Numbers : 4416405
Registration date : 2008-09-09

PostSubject: Re: Peta and Punxsutawney Phil   Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:00 pm

PETA is just crazy.

I'm all for animal rights; hell, I volunteer at an animal rights related non-profit, but PETA just bothers me. I can appreciate some of the work they do- undercover videos, providing recipes and started kits for people who want to go vegan, and so on, but the publicity stunts they do are just crazy and accomplish nothing (aside from angering a lot of people.)

They lose sight of what we're supposed to be fighting for. If they just focused on effective strategies- education, legislation, and advocacy- then so much more could be done, especially with their budget. I can't help but wonder what could be accomplished in the animal rights group I volunteer with had a budget like PETA's... even on a very tight budget we manage to work on a lot of education and outreach projects, and currently have two bits of legislation we're trying to pass.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Emmature

Virgo Pig

PostSubject: Re: Peta and Punxsutawney Phil   Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:52 pm

^I completely concur

Perhaps the strongest thing is people like us- fighting for animal rights and keepin' it real- veg style. Our ranks are swelling.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SweetVervain

Taurus Pig
Number of posts : 123
More Numbers : 3922076
Registration date : 2009-09-20

PostSubject: Re: Peta and Punxsutawney Phil   Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:03 pm

I agree as well. PETA appears ridiculous with practically everything it does.
My sister read me some hilarious stories today about PETA's antics from this fashion book she's been reading for school.
One of them involved a PETA member who attended a fashion show just to throw cake at the fur-clad models. Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Emmature

Virgo Pig

PostSubject: Re: Peta and Punxsutawney Phil   Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:27 pm

...sounds like a midnight showing of "Rocky Horror"
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RedAngel
star member

Leo Snake
Number of posts : 5385
More Numbers : 4312531
Registration date : 2008-11-30

PostSubject: Re: Peta and Punxsutawney Phil   Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:31 pm

^^ Haha, yeah it does, actually! "A toast..." *flings toast*

PETA as an organization has a split personality: the site has useful day-to-day tips for anyone who's veg, but the publicity stunts illustrate the insanity of extremist action. Consequently, if you're veg or don't wear leather, many people think you're a faux-blood-splashing nut. Antics get in the way of education.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://gracestudios.deviantart.com/
SPF
vip member

Scorpio Number of posts : 1678
: : Fashionista
More Numbers : 4468794
Registration date : 2008-07-31

PostSubject: Re: Peta and Punxsutawney Phil   Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:57 pm

sometimes peta makes me fell stupid for being a vegetarian. But I know I am not stupid, peta is
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Peta and Punxsutawney Phil   

Back to top Go down

Peta and Punxsutawney Phil
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
TheDarkRealm :: the threads :: Politics & World Events-
Jump to: