HomeHome  Main PageMain Page  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Latest topics
» I feel Happy
by endless dark Today at 3:12 pm

» Recent Acquisitions Thread
by Vampira132 Today at 4:53 am

» What Are You Currently Watching?
by ravengrim Yesterday at 10:17 pm

» Current Reads
by ravengrim Yesterday at 10:01 pm

» What is everyone doing at the mo?
by ravengrim Yesterday at 9:28 pm

» The General Rant/Bitch/Moan Thread.
by Ginger_Snaps Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:49 pm

» What Are You Listening To Now?
by endless dark Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:28 pm

» Random Thoughts
by Ginger_Snaps Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:55 pm

» Dream Thread
by endless dark Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:57 pm

» The Official Birthday thread!
by La Diva Carlotta Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:35 pm

» ^*^ Happy Halloween ^*^
by GhostRed Tue Oct 31, 2017 2:40 pm

» Three Word Story
by shortpsycho Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:06 pm

» What Game Are You Playing?
by Madelchai Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:41 am

Like/Tweet/+1
Most Viewed Topics
Random Thoughts
The General Rant/Bitch/Moan Thread.
What is everyone doing at the mo?
I feel Happy
The funny pages
The General Rant/Bitch/Moan Thread.
The Official Birthday thread!
What's The Last Movie You Saw?
Post Random Pictures of yourself!
Recent Acquisitions Thread
Similar topics

Share | 

Goths brighten community with cleanups and toy drives

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
ravengrim

Virgo Rat
Number of posts : 7189
: : The Fallen Angel
: :
More Numbers : 4580694
Registration date : 2008-07-21

PostSubject: Goths brighten community with cleanups and toy drives   Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:15 pm

The thing about Goths is that they actually do go out in the sunshine.

To believe the stereotype about the all-black-wearing subculture, it would seem as though Goths just hang around in dark rooms, reading Edgar Allan Poe and crying.

But Lora Williams wants to prove otherwise.

In 2006, she helped form the Gothic Volunteer Alliance, a group of charitable San Diegans with a penchant for black eyeliner. The organization of about 50 members does everything from beach and garden cleanups to food and toy drives.

The GVA has adopted a portion of South Mission Beach and a garden in Old Town which it cares for and regularly cleans.

“We want to change the misconceptions of the Gothic community,” Williams said. “People think we’re depressed, we’re suicidal, we’re violent, that we’re Satanists. We’re actually pretty average people, and we want to show that we care about our community just as much as anyone else.”

It’s quite a sight to see a group of Goths picking up garbage at a sunny beach, especially since the group prides itself on having pale skin. But Williams said the community has responded positively.

Like whenever the group puts up a booth at Balboa Park’s Earth Day festival, it does more than recruit new members.

“A lot of people come to the booth and tell us about their children who are wearing black and listening to a certain type of music,” Williams said. “It gives them a chance to talk to us and see that we’re mature, responsible people.”

And who better to understand than Williams, an accounting worker by day, who said she always had a darkness to her personality, even as a kid.

Back in the late 1980s, when she listened to bands like Sisters of Mercy and Siouxsie and the Banshees, Goths were known as sophisticated, well-read students.
But then came Marilyn Manson and his theatrics.

And after that was the (false) association with the Columbine killers.

So in the last few years, Goths have been labeled as freaks and weirdos and, like Williams, have even been attacked for looking different.

In September 2006, Williams was having drinks in Old Town with her husband, Mark Williams, along with prominent radio personality Robin Roth and Roth’s husband, James Howard.

“These people, just, I don’t know, saw us and didn’t like how we looked,” said Williams.

The group was both verbally and physically assaulted by two men, sending Howard to the hospital for injuries.

A month after the attack, the four friends were contacted by an international group that was trying to change the perception of Goths through volunteerism. Though that group disbanded after a year, the San Diego chapter continued independently in October 2007.

Williams said members include everyone from high school students to grandmothers in their 60s. And most importantly, all are welcome, even if your favorite color is pink.

The GVA is holding an open meeting from 1 to 3 p.m. today along with a Toys for Tots drive at Twiggs Coffee House in University Heights.

“Volunteering time to such a worthy cause is so important to me. I strive to educate others about the misconceptions surrounding the subculture,” said Roth. “As one of four people that was assaulted several years ago, I understand how important GVA is to the community. Targeting someone just because they look different is wrong.”

It is nice to read something positive about the Gothic community.

@themorrigan1972
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RedAngel
star member

Leo Snake
Number of posts : 5385
More Numbers : 4307279
Registration date : 2008-11-30

PostSubject: Re: Goths brighten community with cleanups and toy drives   Sun Dec 06, 2009 10:16 pm

^^ I agree. It's great to see positive coverage. I'm sure it surprises some people -- and as long as they pay attention long enough to be surprised, that's good. clap

It actually made me really happy to read it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://gracestudios.deviantart.com/
Ginger_Snaps

Leo Cat
Number of posts : 4538
: : Werewolf
More Numbers : 4478336
Registration date : 2008-07-22

PostSubject: Re: Goths brighten community with cleanups and toy drives   Sun Dec 06, 2009 11:19 pm

Woah?! Goths are always sad and mopey? Shocked [/sarcasm]

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Goths brighten community with cleanups and toy drives   

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1