HomeHome  Main PageMain Page  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Latest topics
» I feel Happy
by endless dark Today at 3:12 pm

» Recent Acquisitions Thread
by Vampira132 Today at 4:53 am

» What Are You Currently Watching?
by ravengrim Yesterday at 10:17 pm

» Current Reads
by ravengrim Yesterday at 10:01 pm

» What is everyone doing at the mo?
by ravengrim Yesterday at 9:28 pm

» The General Rant/Bitch/Moan Thread.
by Ginger_Snaps Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:49 pm

» What Are You Listening To Now?
by endless dark Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:28 pm

» Random Thoughts
by Ginger_Snaps Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:55 pm

» Dream Thread
by endless dark Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:57 pm

» The Official Birthday thread!
by La Diva Carlotta Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:35 pm

» ^*^ Happy Halloween ^*^
by GhostRed Tue Oct 31, 2017 2:40 pm

» Three Word Story
by shortpsycho Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:06 pm

» What Game Are You Playing?
by Madelchai Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:41 am

Like/Tweet/+1
Most Viewed Topics
Random Thoughts
The General Rant/Bitch/Moan Thread.
What is everyone doing at the mo?
I feel Happy
The funny pages
The General Rant/Bitch/Moan Thread.
The Official Birthday thread!
What's The Last Movie You Saw?
Post Random Pictures of yourself!
Recent Acquisitions Thread
Similar topics

Share | 

New York State Senate Votes Against Gay Marriage

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
La Diva Carlotta
supernova

Scorpio Goat
Number of posts : 7860
: :
More Numbers : 4479304
Registration date : 2008-07-23

PostSubject: New York State Senate Votes Against Gay Marriage   Thu Dec 03, 2009 12:12 am

New York Senate votes against legalizing gay marriage by a large margin, 38-24
By Kenneth Lovett
Daily News Albany Bureau Chief

ALBANY - In a major blow to the gay rights movement, the state Senate overwhelmingly killed a bill to legalize same-sex marriage on Wednesday.

After two-and-half hours of passionate debate, the Senate voted the measure down 38-24.

New York now joins a list of 31 other states, most recently Maine, to shoot down gay marriage.

None of the Senate's 30 Republicans voted for the measure.

Of the 32 Democrats, 24 voted for it, eight against.

Sen. Ruben Diaz (D-Bronx) noted that the five states that have approved gay marriage did so through legislation.

"When the people had the opportunity to vote [on a referendum], the people have rejected it, " Diaz said.

Advocates called the rejection disappointing but insisted it was just temporary set back. They vowed to continue fighting.

"The time is never right for civil rights - the economy, wars, the troubles we've had here in the Senate - but the paradox is it's always time to be on the right side of history," said Senate bill sponsor Tom Duane (D-Manhattan), the chambers's only openly gay member.

Others saw the vote as evidence of a shifting political landscape highlighted in the most recent elections.

Supporters and gay rights advocates, including Gov. Paterson, pushed for a vote even though it's fate was uncertain - a rare move in Albany, where legislation usually makes it to the floor only if its passage is guaranteed.

"This legislation would merely provide me and tens of thousands of New Yorkers equal rights in New York State," said Duane. "It would make me equal in every way to everyone in this chamber."

Sen. Eric Adams (D-Brooklyn) noted that many of the states used to permit slavery or outlawed interracial marriage.

"Because the numerical majority is in one place does not mean they are in the right place," Adams said. "We must lead."

"You don't have to be gay to respect the rights of those who are, he added.

Sen. Eric Schneiderman (D-Manhattan) argued that legalizing gay marriage does not hurt heterosexuals or religions.

"This is not about morality, because we can't legislate morality, ladies and gentlemen," he said. "But we can legislate justice."

Despite the fact that Democrats taking control of the Senate this year by a slim majority, Republican votes were always needed to pass the measure because not every Democrat backed the bill.

In the end, there were not enough GOP votes to make up for the eight votes that the Democrats lacked because of opposition among some of their members.

The Assembly has passed the measure three times, including shortly after midnight on Wednesday.

The state's highest court recently upheld the granting of benefits in New York by the state and Westchester County to same sex couples married legally in other states.
-----------------------------------------------------

This really really pissed me off. Damn religious nuts!
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: New York State Senate Votes Against Gay Marriage   Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:40 am

The two states that I thought would be first in line to legalize it were California and New York... I've been proven wrong both times. sad or frown Why do they feel like they need to single out certain groups? It's a bible passage that gives most of these people their reasoning for not liking homosexuality. Wouldn't it be a breech of separation of church and state then? It's a matter of religion not legality.

I guess I know why they want to have someone to continually harass (like they did with inter-racial marriage, right for women and blacks to vote, slavery, and who could go to school). Look at what most people live in. They all have some type of hardship and some are at the bottom of the social ladder. For one cause they still have the means of being superior to someone else and their little power-trips feel divine.
Back to top Go down
RedAngel
star member

Leo Snake
Number of posts : 5385
More Numbers : 4307279
Registration date : 2008-11-30

PostSubject: Re: New York State Senate Votes Against Gay Marriage   Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:01 am

^^ I agree with you, Nsane, particularly about this going against separation of church and state (if marriage were purely a religious event, there would be no legal rights for spouses regarding the events in their S.O.s' lives) and especially regarding the power-trip thing. Sounds so simple, but yeah, a lot of people just find it more satisfying to have a "lesser" person to pick on. More so than respecting others as you would have them respect you.

The decision is a real disappointment. On the bright side, if there is one, there's always Connecticut. Just go through White Plains and into Danbury -- a lot of New Yorkers do anyway!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://gracestudios.deviantart.com/
Ginger_Snaps

Leo Cat
Number of posts : 4538
: : Werewolf
More Numbers : 4478336
Registration date : 2008-07-22

PostSubject: Re: New York State Senate Votes Against Gay Marriage   Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:33 pm

This really comes as no surprise to me. People vote against gay marriage because they are trying to "defend marriage." Yeah, I'll believe you when you outlaw divorce, which happens to be the number one factor going agianst marriage at this point. Speaking of which.

PostSubject: Re: New York State Senate Votes Against Gay Marriage   Thu Dec 03, 2009 7:02 pm

Ginger_Snaps wrote:
This really comes as no surprise to me. People vote against gay marriage because they are trying to "defend marriage." Yeah, I'll believe you when you outlaw divorce, which happens to be the number one factor going agianst marriage at this point. Speaking of which.

The comments alone on that story make me sick.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New York State Senate Votes Against Gay Marriage   

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1