HomeHome  Main PageMain Page  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Latest topics
» I feel Happy
by endless dark Today at 3:12 pm

» Recent Acquisitions Thread
by Vampira132 Today at 4:53 am

» What Are You Currently Watching?
by ravengrim Yesterday at 10:17 pm

» Current Reads
by ravengrim Yesterday at 10:01 pm

» What is everyone doing at the mo?
by ravengrim Yesterday at 9:28 pm

» The General Rant/Bitch/Moan Thread.
by Ginger_Snaps Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:49 pm

» What Are You Listening To Now?
by endless dark Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:28 pm

» Random Thoughts
by Ginger_Snaps Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:55 pm

» Dream Thread
by endless dark Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:57 pm

» The Official Birthday thread!
by La Diva Carlotta Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:35 pm

» ^*^ Happy Halloween ^*^
by GhostRed Tue Oct 31, 2017 2:40 pm

» Three Word Story
by shortpsycho Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:06 pm

» What Game Are You Playing?
by Madelchai Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:41 am

Like/Tweet/+1
Most Viewed Topics
Random Thoughts
The General Rant/Bitch/Moan Thread.
What is everyone doing at the mo?
I feel Happy
The funny pages
The General Rant/Bitch/Moan Thread.
The Official Birthday thread!
What's The Last Movie You Saw?
Post Random Pictures of yourself!
Recent Acquisitions Thread
Similar topics

Share | 

In Japan, 'Herbivore' Boys Subvert Ideas Of Manhood

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
cynfullov
star member

Number of posts : 3919
Location : Wickedly at play while the GODS of HADES give an ever watchful grinning eye.
: :
More Numbers : 4538264
Registration date : 2008-08-20

PostSubject: In Japan, 'Herbivore' Boys Subvert Ideas Of Manhood   Sat Nov 28, 2009 7:49 pm

Quote :

by Lousia Lim
November 25, 2009

The sensitive New Age man has finally arrived in the land of the salaryman. But there is a catch a particularly important one in Japan, where the declining birthrate has caused alarm: The new Japanese man doesn't appear to be interested in women or sex.

In Tokyo on the weekends, the trendy area of Harajuku is a melting pot of urban tribes: Lolita goths bat their fake eyelashes, while the punks glower.

Away from the strutting are the retiring wallflowers, a quiet army of sweet young men with floppy hair and skinny jeans. These young men are becoming known as Japan's "herbivores" from the Japanese phrase for "grass-eating boys" guys who are heterosexual but who say they aren't really interested in matters of the flesh.

They are drawn to a quieter, less competitive life, focusing on family and friends and eschewing the macho ways of the traditional Japanese male.

They include men such as Yukihiro Yoshida, a 20-something economics student, who is a self-confessed herbivore. "I don't take initiative with women, I don't talk to them," he says, blushing. "I'd welcome it if a girl talked to me, but I never take the first step myself."

Multiple recent surveys suggest that about 60 percent of young Japanese men in their 20s and early 30s identify themselves as herbivores. Their Sex and the City is a television show called Otomen, or Girly Guys. The lead character is a martial arts expert, the manliest guy in the whole school. But his secret passions include sewing, baking and crocheting clothes for his stuffed animals.

"I will hide my true nature," he vows in the first episode, as he sews secretly, shut away in his living room. "At all times, I will be a man a real Japanese man," he says.

But what does that mean?

"It's not so much that men are becoming more like women. It's that the concept of masculinity is changing," says Katsuhiko Kokobun. From his perch at Guzzle, the popular Harajuku hair salon he owns, Kokobun is at the front line of the latest trends.

Over the years, he has seen more and more men coming into the salon men who he describes as "more modest, less demanding, kind of passive; they accept what they're told." He's noticed that nowadays they're demanding more traditionally female treatments. "We do have eyebrow plucking and facials for men," he says, smiling. "Eyebrow plucking is very popular among high school boys."

It is, perhaps, no coincidence that Yasuhito Sekine's eyebrows are perfectly groomed. The changing tastes of Japanese men are quite literally what take up his days. He works for an Internet service provider and operates Sweets Club, an online group for men who like desserts. Set up in January, it already has about 1,000 members who congregate online and in person to debate the virtues of different brands of strawberry shortcake. It's something that Sekine says would have been unthinkable 20 years ago.

"Back [in the 1980s], Japanese men had to be passionate and aggressive, but now those characteristics are disliked. Our members have very mild personalities. They simply enjoy what they like without prejudice. They are not limited by expectations."- Yasuhito Sekine, a self-described herbivore

"Back then, lots of men liked desserts, but it was considered uncool. Cool men had to like alcohol or spicy food. I've discovered my father likes eating dessert, but he never showed it in the past," Sekine says.

Put through his paces with an impromptu taste test, Sekine praises peach gelatin as fresh-tasting. He is not so keen on coffee gelatin with cream a macho dessert if ever there was one labeling it "retro." He believes his dessert club shows that young Japanese men are asserting their individuality, reflecting a change in values from Japan's booming 1980s.

"Back then, Japanese men had to be passionate and aggressive, but now those characteristics are disliked. Our members have very mild personalities. They simply enjoy what they like without prejudice. They are not limited by expectations," Sekine says.

Japan's top expert on herbivores, Maki Fukasawa, believes they were born from the lost decade of economic stagnation. She christened the tribe in 2006 and recently wrote a book called The Herbivore Generation, which breaks herbivores down into 23 distinct subcategories. She argues that the herbivores are rebelling against the salaryman generation of their fathers, consciously turning away from the macho mores and conspicuous consumption of that era.

"They have some feelings of revulsion towards the older generation," says Fukasawa. "They don't want to have the same lives. And the impact of the herbivores on the economy is very big. They're such big news now because sales are down, especially of status products like cars and alcohol."
She says the advent of the herbivores could bring positive changes. Herbivores may lack ambition, but they are driven by a strong sense of community and family, which she believes many of them lacked while growing up.

"In a sense, their fathers neglected their families. They were involved in Japanese-style salaryman lifestyles, going out with their bosses every night, while herbivores are closer to their families and friends," Fukasawa says.

But there are fears about the financial and social impact of herbivores. Their low levels of spending and lack of interest in sex invoke two of Japan's biggest problems: its lackluster economy and declining birthrate. Herbivores like to be friends with women but for many, that's as far as it goes.

In the streets of Harajuku, Alex Fujita explains why he is not interested in taking it any further.

"Nowadays, women have more education and enjoy working. Women are scary now," he says.

And, of course, there is a name, too, for the economically empowered working Japanese women who know what they want: the carnivore women. With herbivore boys and carnivore girls, it seems the land of samurai, sumo wrestlers and geisha girls is remaking its gender landscape anew.

I'll have to jot this down. just incase the term "Herbivore
or Herbivor Generation" ever comes up.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Maxmordon
star member

Aquarius Horse
Number of posts : 4066
: : Distopian Man
More Numbers : 4467168
Registration date : 2008-07-28

PostSubject: Re: In Japan, 'Herbivore' Boys Subvert Ideas Of Manhood   Sat Nov 28, 2009 8:22 pm

Fascinating, I wonder if it will ever come up here in a couple of decades?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RedAngel
star member

Leo Snake
Number of posts : 5385
More Numbers : 4307279
Registration date : 2008-11-30

PostSubject: Re: In Japan, 'Herbivore' Boys Subvert Ideas Of Manhood   Sat Nov 28, 2009 9:20 pm

This is really interesting. I suppose a backlash against the "old ways" was bound to happen sooner or later.

I found this part especially intriguing:
"Back then, Japanese men had to be passionate and aggressive, but now those characteristics are disliked. Our members have very mild personalities. They simply enjoy what they like without prejudice. They are not limited by expectations," Sekine says.

Maybe I'm way off, but I always thought conformity was a highly valued part of Japanese culture -- and for the "herbivore" men to resist tradition is pretty gutsy, if not revolutionary, in light of this.

I wonder if anime has had any influence on this social shift? I'm thinking of Yukinari, the male main character from Girls Bravo. He literally breaks out in hives if he's even near a girl, except for one.

In any case, they seem like a great bunch of fellas, and I would eat sweets with them if they weren't frightened by me. grin
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://gracestudios.deviantart.com/
Maxmordon
star member

Aquarius Horse
Number of posts : 4066
: : Distopian Man
More Numbers : 4467168
Registration date : 2008-07-28

PostSubject: Re: In Japan, 'Herbivore' Boys Subvert Ideas Of Manhood   Sun Nov 29, 2009 3:00 am

RedAngel wrote:
This is really interesting. I suppose a backlash against the "old ways" was bound to happen sooner or later.

I found this part especially intriguing:

Maybe I'm way off, but I always thought conformity was a highly valued part of Japanese culture -- and for the "herbivore" men to resist tradition is pretty gutsy, if not revolutionary, in light of this.

I wonder if anime has had any influence on this social shift? I'm thinking of Yukinari, the male main character from Girls Bravo. He literally breaks out in hives if he's even near a girl, except for one.

In any case, they seem like a great bunch of fellas, and I would eat sweets with them if they weren't frightened by me.

But again, surrender upon gender stereotypes is a type of comformity.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ginger_Snaps

Leo Cat
Number of posts : 4538
: : Werewolf
More Numbers : 4478336
Registration date : 2008-07-22

PostSubject: Re: In Japan, 'Herbivore' Boys Subvert Ideas Of Manhood   Sun Nov 29, 2009 6:38 pm

This pretty much translates to the American culture. Just substitute Japan or Japanese with America and American and any Japanese name with the typical American name, and it fits perfectly. The same thing is happening here and some conservative men are complaining that too many other men are not conforming to the typical masculine role and blurring the lines of what is masculine and feminine.

RedAngel
star member

Leo Snake
Number of posts : 5385
More Numbers : 4307279
Registration date : 2008-11-30

PostSubject: Re: In Japan, 'Herbivore' Boys Subvert Ideas Of Manhood   Sun Nov 29, 2009 11:02 pm

^^ That's true. I just thought conformity was a more highly-held value in Japan than in the U.S.

In the States we've got conflicting messages regarding individuality: for example, people who insist that the government hasn't got the right to tell them how to live are sometimes the same people who frown on anyone who looks different from them (effectively saying, "I'm an individual, but who do you think you are walking around with pink hair?"). I'm not sure mixed messages like those exist in Japanese culture as they do here, and if they don't, then Japanese people who venture outside culturally-established norms are probably really shaking things up.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://gracestudios.deviantart.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: In Japan, 'Herbivore' Boys Subvert Ideas Of Manhood   

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1