HomeHome  Main PageMain Page  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Briton to induce epileptic seizure as performance

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Vampira132

Gemini Tiger
Number of posts : 4606
: : The Victorian Woman in Black
: :
More Numbers : 4772423
Registration date : 2008-07-21

PostSubject: Briton to induce epileptic seizure as performance   Fri Nov 20, 2009 5:23 pm

As a person who used to suffer with epilepsy I find this shocking.

~~

An epilepsy sufferer has courted controversy in Britain by creating a public performance in which she will attempt to bring on a seizure and allow the audience to film it on their mobile phones. Skip related content

Rita Marcalo, who suffers around two seizures a year even on medication, has stopped taking treatment ahead of next month's production of "Involuntary Dances," which she claims is to raise awareness of epilepsy, the Telegraph newspaper reported.

But Marcalo, who directs a dance theater company, is facing criticism for putting herself at risk and for the voyeuristic nature of the 24-hour event which is being funded by a 13,889-pound ($22,910) government arts grant.

People will be invited to film her at Bradford Playhouse in northern England's West Yorkshire region, where she will use strobe lighting, fasting and raise her body temperature in an attempt to bring about a seizure.

"One of the reasons I am doing this is because epilepsy is an invisible disability," Marcalo told the newspaper. "As an artist I am very interested in this idea of doing something in my art that is the opposite of what I do in my life. In my own life it is private but in art I make it public."

She said that anyone could see epileptic seizures on Google or YouTube that have been filmed on mobile phones without the consent of the person having the seizure.

"Part of me doing this is to address the voyeurism. I am saying, I am choosing to let you do this," she said.

Epilepsy organizations have expressed concern about a patient attempting to bring on a seizure for the entertainment of others.

"I am concerned about the potential danger of a patient stopping their medication to induce a seizure," Epilepsy Action Chief Executive Philip Lee said.

"It is also concerning that the performance could influence others to do something similar."

The audience, restricted to over-18s, will be provided with sleeping bags and breakfast. They will be awakened by a siren the moment that Marcalo suffers a seizure, which they are permitted to record on their mobile phones.

"I think it will shock people. I think it's her right to express herself and if people find it distasteful they do not have to see it," Bradford Playhouse Director Eleanor Barrett said.

National Society for Epilepsy neuropsychologist Sallie Baxendale said it was unlikely that someone would be able to induce a seizure at will even when off medication because they were so unpredictable.

"If a seizure happens in front of an audience it is likely to make them feel very uncomfortable," she said.

"Will this help reduce the stigma which still surrounds the condition? I doubt it."

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/22/20091120/tuk-life-us-britain-performance-epilepsy-fa6b408.html

star member

Number of posts : 3919
Location : Wickedly at play while the GODS of HADES give an ever watchful grinning eye.
More Numbers : 4743092
Registration date : 2008-08-20

PostSubject: Re: Briton to induce epileptic seizure as performance   Fri Nov 20, 2009 6:28 pm

Well I hope if it goes as she plans that she doesn't have'a stroke or something.

It's sounds like it's being done for publicity and exploitation, which is mm sorta like a mockery to those that suffer from seizures, but she's an adult, it's her life and there are a lot of occupations where people put their lives in jeapordy solely for the entertainment of others and monetary gain. $22,910 is a lot of money to make, especially so for 24 hours. Wonder how much is left after the purchase of sleeping bags and breakfast?

Quote :
"If a seizure happens in front of an audience it is likely to make them feel very uncomfortable," she said.

I kind of doubt that. I think those that that would feel uncomfortable won't go to watch it. I wouldn't want to want to watch it. I've seen people have a seizure in real life, all you do is hurt and worry for them. I hope it's worth it for her.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
helen damnation

Gemini Number of posts : 5254
: : Satan's cheerleader
More Numbers : 4776835
Registration date : 2008-07-21

PostSubject: Re: Briton to induce epileptic seizure as performance   Fri Nov 20, 2009 6:42 pm

Stupid cow!

That is incredibly insensitive to people who actually suffer from epilepsy and I cant see anybody wanting to pay money to see that. I've seen a friend have a fit and it's bloody terrifying and not at all amusing - we really have not moved on from the freak show have we?

Well, the Devil he taught us how to rock and then he turned us loose
Back to top Go down
View user profile
La Diva Carlotta
supernova

Scorpio Goat
Number of posts : 7864
More Numbers : 4684136
Registration date : 2008-07-23

PostSubject: Re: Briton to induce epileptic seizure as performance   Fri Nov 20, 2009 7:49 pm

What the hell is wrong with this woman? And the government is sponsoring this?! This is beyond ridiculous.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Briton to induce epileptic seizure as performance   

Back to top Go down

Briton to induce epileptic seizure as performance
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
TheDarkRealm :: the threads :: Politics & World Events-
Jump to: