HomeHome  Main PageMain Page  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Latest topics
» Random Thoughts
by endless dark Wed May 16, 2018 4:33 pm

» I feel Happy
by endless dark Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:58 pm

» The General Rant/Bitch/Moan Thread.
by Ginger_Snaps Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:43 pm

» Bizarre News
by endless dark Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:10 pm

» What is everyone doing at the mo?
by Ginger_Snaps Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:08 am

» Post Random Pictures of yourself!
by Vampira132 Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:26 pm

» What Are You Listening To Now?
by Vampira132 Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:15 pm

» The Official Birthday thread!
by GhostRed Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:14 pm

» Recent Acquisitions Thread
by Vampira132 Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:17 am

» Things you want to learn!
by Vampira132 Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:12 am

» What Are You Currently Watching?
by ravengrim Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:17 pm

» Current Reads
by ravengrim Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:01 pm

» Dream Thread
by endless dark Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:57 pm

Like/Tweet/+1
Most Viewed Topics
Random Thoughts
What is everyone doing at the mo?
The General Rant/Bitch/Moan Thread.
I feel Happy
The funny pages
The General Rant/Bitch/Moan Thread.
The Official Birthday thread!
What's The Last Movie You Saw?
Post Random Pictures of yourself!
Recent Acquisitions Thread
Similar topics

Share | 

A Dark Secret

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Nightmistress

Sagittarius Goat
Number of posts : 491
: :
More Numbers : 4787451
Registration date : 2008-07-23

PostSubject: A Dark Secret   Sun Sep 13, 2009 10:45 am

A Secret Most Dark (I Was a Teenage Goth)
HumorFashionBeautyFirst Person25 CommentsI have a dark secret: I was goth in high school.

Given that goths don't really like to have their pictures taken, I had managed to keep my secret from my fiance pretty easily.

Embarrassingly enough, the story broke at my grandmother's funeral, where pictures of the family were scattered around the country church where her services were held.

I tried to distract him, but he zeroed right in on an older picture of my sweet wonderful grandmother, looking confused while being hugged by a girl with black and pink hair wearing a dog collar and a black silk gown. (No, that's not me to the left, that's a representative photo. There's not a chance I'm exposing mine to more people than have already seen it.)

"Is that you?" he asked. I could only nod, eyes cast down.

It all started around 1993 or so.

Click here to keep reading ...

I listened to alternative music and wore a lot of horrible-looking Goodwill castoff clothing, like silly T-shirts and jeans that were ripped up and safety-pinned back together. I dyed my hair and my shoes the same colors.

My style felt loopy and amateur until I met Amber, a friend of a friend who frequented the punk club for teens in my small town. She had black hair and wore fishnet stockings and superfluous things like vests and lots of chains and boots. I was impressed and envied her tough, don't-f**k-with-me vibe.

I had no discernible style and no particular talents, unless you count my ability to be teased and put up with an older sister who was a gorgeous drama-department sweetheart. My childhood "I can do anything" confidence was rapidly slipping away. So I decided instead of concocting my own strong personality, I would just scare the heck out of people.

Building a Mystery ... or Just Dressing Like Him
I started buying fishnets and Doc Martens and listening to industrial music, and I loved it. Everything felt dramatic and intense. Frequently, nights were spent in a car with Amber and some of my other newfound friends, driving aimlessly and listening to Skinny Puppy at ear-shattering volume.

The small, strip-mall-infested town I had spent my entire life in suddenly felt different, dangerous. I would go to parties in houses that looked totally normal from the outside, but inside, would be filled with swords and coffins and goblets. It sounds cheesy now, but at the time, I desperately wanted to believe in the idea of an underbelly, even in a town as sleepy as mine. I felt so lucky to have found it.

At school, I went from being considered wacky to being mysterious overnight. Well, in truth, the biggest mystery to other kids was probably why I was dressing like the TJ Maxx version of "The Addams Family," but in my head, they thought of me as an enigma wrapped in mystery. I was no longer teased, so instead I ridiculed other kids who dared to wear fingerless gloves, insisting that they were poseurs.

Talking smack about people in a park where you used to ride bikes as a kid is a major pastime for goths, as is discussing rumors of bands that may be coming to town. See, the thing about being goth is that there's not much to do. We have no real pastime other than sweating in black clothes.

You can go to goth nights at clubs if you're lucky, so that's one night taken care of, and maybe once every other year, a goth or industrial band would tour. Even if we didn't like the band, we went anyway. That's how hard up we were.

Moving Toward the Light... Clothing
I dutifully carried on past high school, taking a glow-in-the-dark "art piece" of a head screaming in agony to my freshman year dorm room, instantly horrifying my hippie roommate. I found my fellow goths that first year of college, but I also met punks and shoegazer kids and metal kids, and they all seemed to have a pretty good racket going on. I found bands in my college town where the shows felt just as dramatic and underground and vital, and the kids were having fun.

I defected gradually, buying colorful clothing here, listening to Sleater-Kinney there. I grew up. Being goth is perfect for teenagers, because it's all about creating an illusion of a dark, dramatic world, keeping yourself isolated so no one breaks that illusion, and then complaining there's nothing cool to do.

I still listen to Skinny Puppy sometimes and think wistfully about the days when the world still seemed so mysterious and out of reach. If only I could have kept myself in the dark.

Emily Gordon is a Lemondrop contributor, blogger, journalist and recovering goth who lives in New York.

Quote :
Talking smack about people in a park where you used to ride bikes as a kid is a major pastime for goths,

I have never once gone to a park to talk about other people. Does this mean I'm not goth? Lol. Rolling Eyes

Last edited by Nightmistress on Tue Sep 15, 2009 12:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.myspace.com/XwhipsXchainsXhandcuffs

PostSubject: Re: A Dark Secret   Sun Sep 13, 2009 2:48 pm

^^Poseur indeed. This Emily girl may want to look into the actual culture before she starts trying to say she was a part of it.

Cyn, where'd your post go?
Back to top Go down
cynfullov
star member

Number of posts : 3919
Location : Wickedly at play while the GODS of HADES give an ever watchful grinning eye.
More Numbers : 4852071
Registration date : 2008-08-20

PostSubject: Re: A Dark Secret   Sun Sep 13, 2009 4:00 pm

I copied it, stuck it in a pm and then deleted it here. It was too long a post for me to have. I annoy myself.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RedAngel
star member

Leo Snake
Number of posts : 5385
More Numbers : 4621086
Registration date : 2008-11-30

PostSubject: Re: A Dark Secret   Sun Sep 13, 2009 4:01 pm

"Being goth is perfect for teenagers, because it's all about creating an illusion of a dark, dramatic world, keeping yourself isolated so no one breaks that illusion, and then complaining there's nothing cool to do. "

Goth -- Ur doin it wrong!

"Emily Gordon is a Lemondrop contributor, blogger, journalist and recovering goth who lives in New York."

Emily Gordon is a weak-willed individual who has hopefully "grown up" enough to find her own identity instead of borrowing that of others... unless she's now pretending to be a retro-chic "blogger extraordinaire" to cover up her feelings of inadequacy.

bite
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://gracestudios.deviantart.com/
RedAngel
star member

Leo Snake

PostSubject: Re: A Dark Secret   Sun Sep 13, 2009 4:03 pm

cynfullov wrote:
I copied it, stuck it in a pm and then deleted it here. It was too long a post for me to have. I annoy myself.

hug I would have liked to read your response. (Bet it was kinder than mine. blush)
Back to top Go down
helen damnation

Gemini Number of posts : 5254
: : Satan's cheerleader
More Numbers : 4885814
Registration date : 2008-07-21

PostSubject: Re: A Dark Secret   Sun Sep 13, 2009 5:18 pm

Stupid cow. Mad

Well, the Devil he taught us how to rock and then he turned us loose
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TheDarkHippie

Cancer Goat
Number of posts : 1101
More Numbers : 4554632
Registration date : 2009-01-17

PostSubject: Re: A Dark Secret   Sun Sep 13, 2009 8:37 pm

Ugh. Stupid Idiot! People like that annoy the hell outta me. been dealing with alot of that here in college, because apparently, all goths wear tripp pants. Mad its so annoying!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.facebook.com/joanestabrook#/profile.php?id=757050283&
cynfullov
star member

Number of posts : 3919
Location : Wickedly at play while the GODS of HADES give an ever watchful grinning eye.
More Numbers : 4852071
Registration date : 2008-08-20

PostSubject: Re: A Dark Secret   Sun Sep 13, 2009 11:52 pm

RedAngel wrote:
cynfullov wrote:
hug I would have liked to read your response. (Bet it was kinder than mine. blush)

hug Thankyou

I agree with you & nsane, and the going opinions.. She was never goth just dressing the part. I have to watch myself or I'll be back on a novel sized post again. It does remind me somewhat of Anne Rice and her "Not feeling like an outsider anymore."
Small part of my post..
Quote :
Emily Gordon is a Lemondrop contributor, blogger, journalist and recovering goth who lives in New York.

Recovering poseur. :?

If your truly goth, it stays with you.
Other wise, your just trying it on.

( No one else's posts ever bother me. Just mine.)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RedAngel
star member

Leo Snake

PostSubject: Re: A Dark Secret   Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:19 am

^^ But you're a smarty and it's good to hear from you!

OK, I feel a *little* bad about the bite-your-head-off response I posted.

Specifically, here's what bothers me about the blogger:

1. She perpetuates a false, negative stereotype of what it is to identify as Goth.
2. She insults goths by implying that it's an illness ("recovering goth"?) that is cured with "maturity" and social assimilation (buy colorful clothing, listen to bland music, blend in as much as possible, live happily ever after).
3. She's essentially stating just what the, er, goth-fearing community wants to hear, thus ensuring herself a pat on the back from these folks, as well as the feeling of acceptance she worked so hard to get in the first place. And that's got nothing to do with goths.
Back to top Go down
Ginger_Snaps

Leo Cat
Number of posts : 4545
: : Werewolf
More Numbers : 4792151
Registration date : 2008-07-22

PostSubject: Re: A Dark Secret   Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:24 pm

So, listening to Sleater-Kinney makes one a non-goth?

I'm glad she is no longer representing us, because from her own account, she was a poser.

deadcoldgothgirl
supernova

Sagittarius Snake
Number of posts : 6332
More Numbers : 4790941
Registration date : 2008-07-24

PostSubject: Re: A Dark Secret   Tue Sep 15, 2009 12:09 am

Quote :

I didn't know being goth was something you had to recover from like drugs or alcohol. I think while reading this I was laughing too hard. Obviously she had no idea what goth was or is. It is nothing to be ashamed about. I'm perfectly happy with it and you don't see me getting into tons of trouble looking for attention.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.myspace.com/gothic_freak
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A Dark Secret   

Back to top Go down

A Dark Secret
Page 1 of 1