HomeHome  Main PageMain Page  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Latest topics
» The General Rant/Bitch/Moan Thread.
by Ginger_Snaps Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:30 pm

» Where the meat don't hang out...
by Ginger_Snaps Sat Jul 29, 2017 6:54 pm

» I feel Happy
by endless dark Sat Jul 29, 2017 6:49 pm

» Music Video's To Share...
by Spooky Sat Jul 29, 2017 12:43 pm

» Whats the Last CD you Bought??
by Spooky Sat Jul 29, 2017 12:30 pm

» What Game Are You Playing?
by Spooky Sat Jul 29, 2017 12:28 pm

» Random Thoughts
by Spooky Sat Jul 29, 2017 12:25 pm

» What's The Last Movie You Saw?
by endless dark Sun Jun 11, 2017 5:29 pm

» Peter Steele
by RedAngel Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:55 am

» What Are You Listening To Now?
by Tempest Thu Jan 19, 2017 6:27 pm

» Dream Thread
by Tempest Thu Jan 19, 2017 6:24 pm

» Podcasts
by Spooky Sat Nov 26, 2016 1:05 pm

» Bizarre News
by ravengrim Tue Jul 05, 2016 12:36 am

Like/Tweet/+1
Most Viewed Topics
Random Thoughts
The General Rant/Bitch/Moan Thread.
I feel Happy
What is everyone doing at the mo?
The funny pages
The General Rant/Bitch/Moan Thread.
The Official Birthday thread!
What's The Last Movie You Saw?
Post Random Pictures of yourself!
Recent Acquisitions Thread
Similar topics

Share | 

So it began: How did You Discover YOUR gothyness?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Zelda!

Gemini Monkey
Number of posts : 34
: :
More Numbers : 3852394
Registration date : 2009-09-07

PostSubject: So it began: How did You Discover YOUR gothyness?   Sun Sep 13, 2009 2:14 am

Please, please do delete this thread if there's already something like this in the forum. Many apologies if there is.

Anywho, being a nosy busy-body, I am very curious to know how YOU began as a babybat. What got you hooked on the fashion/music/aesthetics? When did you discover that black was beautiful and creepy was comely? When did you outright start thinking of yourself as a goth? When did you start thinking of thinking as yourself as a goth?

Do tell!

heartcandlesheart
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ginger_Snaps

Leo Cat
Number of posts : 4522
: : Werewolf
More Numbers : 4396914
Registration date : 2008-07-22

PostSubject: Re: So it began: How did You Discover YOUR gothyness?   Mon Sep 14, 2009 4:20 pm

I had a friend who on the first day of seventh grade came in dressed as a goth. I fell in love with it ever since.

deadcoldgothgirl
supernova

Sagittarius Snake
Number of posts : 6332
More Numbers : 4395728
Registration date : 2008-07-24

PostSubject: Re: So it began: How did You Discover YOUR gothyness?   Mon Sep 14, 2009 5:20 pm

Well I have always liked tattoos and piercings and people who just weren't the norm. When I was little I used to work at my churches festival all the time being that my dads family was always in charge of it. I grew up going to catholic schools and such so I was used to seeing people in the norm. The last day of the festival every year I would see this beautiful girl and her bf walking around right before closing. She wore all black, had platform boots, wore a tight black t-shirt and a black skirt. I loved her make-up and every piercing she had.

As I got older my mom and dad and grandma were really sick. My dads mom died and two years later my other grandma died. A month after that my dad passed away. I saw this girl wearing tripp pants and I asked her where she got them and she told me hot topic. A friend of mine took me out to ease my mind. Her mom told me if I was upset with my weight black is a very slimming color. I walked into hot topic and I was hooked

Everything I have ever been interested in or thought looked cool was in there. (this was back when hot topic wasn't all scene and trendy) I remember wanting to buy everything in there. I found a book called the goth bible and I studied it. I wanted to know what I was getting into and what the group believed in. At the time it was something that helped ease my troubles. I was thrown into the psych ward because my teacher thought I was suicidal (that lying B!TCH)

Anyway, when I got out I was called a mall goth by everyone I new. I was disgusted and insulted at the exact same time. As we all know what kind of insult that is. So I looked into every book and forum that I could to see what I was doing and what really being goth is. I fell in love with the culture. I learned a lot of history from it. And today I am the person I am today from all that was past. Now you know a little bit of history of DCGG.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.myspace.com/gothic_freak
SPF
vip member

Scorpio Number of posts : 1678
: : Fashionista
More Numbers : 4382136
Registration date : 2008-07-31

PostSubject: Re: So it began: How did You Discover YOUR gothyness?   Mon Sep 14, 2009 7:36 pm

when I was 5 I remember my mom telling me how obsessed I was with looking like mortician Addams and cat woman. She said I especially loved to put on the red lipstick. Also later on I started to become obsessed with Halloween and old cemeteries at 9. I always liked a darker aesthetic. I later found out there is a general word for such things and that word was goth/gothic. Then when I was a teenager I started exploring music.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: So it began: How did You Discover YOUR gothyness?   Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:53 pm

Well, first off, I'm not really goth. I'm goth-ISH but not really goth. Sure, I like the darker side of things, but I think I'm a little different from the average goth.

That being said...

I've had my issues as a small child up through adulthood. Early on, I started to really like the darker stuff. I just gradually grew into something gothish.... like wearing a lot of black my freshman and sophmore years in highschool.. that faded into something more colourful, but I still love knee-high boots, corsets, ringmaster jackets, ect. I also love the dark readings of Poe and such when I find them. But musically and dress wise... not so much goth any more. But that's never been the most serious of the points in the subculture.
Back to top Go down
La Diva Carlotta
supernova

Scorpio Goat
Number of posts : 7857
More Numbers : 4397895
Registration date : 2008-07-23

PostSubject: Re: So it began: How did You Discover YOUR gothyness?   Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:35 pm

I started wearing all black in the second grade to look like my oldest brother who was heavily into goth music at the time. He used to wear the most awesome boots ever! That's when it started. It only got worse after. naughty
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RedAngel
star member

Leo Snake
Number of posts : 5374
More Numbers : 4225861
Registration date : 2008-11-30

PostSubject: Re: So it began: How did You Discover YOUR gothyness?   Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:21 pm

Ah yeah -- there's a similar topic in the Polls. (not to take away from this one.)

What I wrote there:
Well, looking back, I guess all the "weirdo" ingredients were there. I was raised by my mom & grandparents after Mom left her alcoholic abusive husband (my father). We weren't financially well-off, and Mom has had her share of issues that stressed us as a family, but we got by. Kids at school, as far back as I can remember, used to put me down, call me weird or quiet.

For a while I just wanted to disappear, especially in junior high when the taunting got really severe. I wound up having big anxiety problems. I tried so hard to blend -- trying to look like the other kids. I even got a perm to look like the other girls -- disaster; my hair fell out in clumps!! (Might explain my hair obsession now...)

In high school, I did my best to leave all that behind me. I became more of an individual, and I was finally proud of not being like the others. But in college I really developed as a person: I was able to see the bright and dark aspects of my life and myself, and be happy with the balance of both. My love of angels, *and* Manson? Sure. My affinity for deserted places, bare trees, jewel-tone velvets and black corsets? They're just as much a part of me as my brighter side.

I sometimes worry that I'm not goth enough to post here, but I know that's silly.
I am who I am.

Last edited by RedAngel on Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:32 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : removed a link that would have gone to another thread and left this one)
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://gracestudios.deviantart.com/
cynfullov
star member

Number of posts : 3919
Location : Wickedly at play while the GODS of HADES give an ever watchful grinning eye.
More Numbers : 4456858
Registration date : 2008-08-20

PostSubject: Re: So it began: How did You Discover YOUR gothyness?   Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:29 pm

^ I bumped that thread topic up the night this one was posted and was about to leave in this one a link to the "What age..." in the Polls forum, but the more I read this which was in it's opening post:

This isnt about being Goth straight away but maybe starting out as a skater, mosher, metalhead etc. etc.

I thought it different enough to leave up. Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RedAngel
star member

Leo Snake

PostSubject: Re: So it began: How did You Discover YOUR gothyness?   Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:33 pm

^^ It is different enough. Smile Just reminded me of the other one, that's all.

Last edited by RedAngel on Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:35 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : OCD)
Back to top Go down
Synth

Aquarius Horse
Number of posts : 578
More Numbers : 4392197
Registration date : 2008-07-23

PostSubject: Re: So it began: How did You Discover YOUR gothyness?   Tue Sep 15, 2009 12:07 am

The History of the Synthigoth-

Music wise I got into alt music via gateway bands such as Bowling For Soup and Green Day, from those I bought Kerrang magazine and discovered Rammstein, they led me to Cruxshadows and from there I worked backwards and then around.

Fashion wise- I don't think I was that fashion conscious as a child but when I opened up my eyes to it I was drawn to Alt stylings and then smaller into a more gothic take, I do my research of lots of different fashions and play with a lot of different things- I am a fashion whore, I sleep with all the styles on the side but goth is my main lover. I remember at secondary school there was a goth-ish (more metal/rock once I got to know her) girl in my year and I idolized her! I was a quiet little nerdy kid and she was really cool in her black dungarees and eyeliner, a year or so later I got into her friendship group, got more into rock and metal until i discovered Cruxshadows and delved deeper.

Literature wise- I used to read loads of crime when I was little, 'Point Crimes' they were called and I loved them, I drank them in. And that was my book diet until my English teacher in yr7 read us Dracula from memory *beams* after that I read the book myself and then read the Anne Rice's up until Vivotto or something like that. She then lent me Angela Carter who is now my goddess *swoon* fairytales with the sex and violence put in then given a fetishistic, feminist twist! YUM YUM!

General interest wise-my parents are history and art buffs so I was always encouraged to be interested in those things which I feel fulled me to some extent, I always loved Victorian day at school, where the whole day would be as authentically victorian as possible, our town also had victorian faires at christmas which were great too! Art wise I like gothic visuals but prefer art which means something or has something to say.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
PorcelainPirate

Pisces Snake
Number of posts : 69
More Numbers : 3911515
Registration date : 2009-07-24

PostSubject: Re: So it began: How did You Discover YOUR gothyness?   Tue Sep 15, 2009 11:21 am

I was raised in a fairly alternative environment - my father's a biker, my mother's a hippy, and there were always swords and dragons on the walls (and anywhere else they could put them). I grew up with metal, because I was and still am a total daddy's girl.
I've always been a fairly academic person, and my interest in culture and art began young. I was already 'trained' to a dark aesthetic, so when I began to encounter gothic music and literature, I was hooked.
I've always been a big sci-fi fan, so naturally, I gravitated towards the EBM and Electro-Industrial scene. A darkly futuristic feel is pretty much a guarantee of my love Smile

And, as a final aside, my father seems very appreciative of the music I play. It's nice that I can bring things to the table for us to bond over.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Spooky
vip member

Scorpio Rooster
Number of posts : 1419
More Numbers : 4386769
Registration date : 2008-07-28

PostSubject: Re: So it began: How did You Discover YOUR gothyness?   Tue Sep 15, 2009 2:22 pm

I saw where Porcelain Pirate was going.

My Mother was a hippy and artist in a family of bikers, and my father was a navyman and punk drummer from a family of iron workers and musicians from Ireland. This quizzical union birthed the gorgeous and ridiculously talented creature with a flare for the dark and theatrical, but it's the humbleness that really makes me awesome.

Ok I jest....sort of.

Just from the music and art they played, their style of dress, I started to favor certain types of clothes, certain colors, certain music. By the time I was 12, I liked how nail polish looked on the boys in Exploited, the Damned and on David Bowie; for their album covers were always about. Painted my nails about that time, and my mom walked in and said: "you did that yourself? Not bad for the first time." She was a single mother then because my father passed away, and she supported my art, reading, writing and creativity from a young age. For that I was comfortable and proud of my choices, and at the end of middleschool, I decided keeping my tastes from the cruel eyes of my fellow children wasn't needed anymore. I didn't care what they would say or do, and weened the kids into getting used to how "strange" I'd be over the next few years.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fetishfactory.com
RedAngel
star member

Leo Snake

PostSubject: Re: So it began: How did You Discover YOUR gothyness?   Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:45 pm

Now that I think about it, there have been moments in high school and afterward when it would hit me that I was different -- not "oh what a rare gem I am"; just realizing different tastes and outlooks. And I've loved those moments. They really feel wonderful.
Back to top Go down
Ginger_Snaps

Leo Cat
Number of posts : 4522
: : Werewolf
More Numbers : 4396914
Registration date : 2008-07-22

PostSubject: Re: So it began: How did You Discover YOUR gothyness?   Wed Sep 16, 2009 1:10 am

Thinking back, I think my first sight of a goth was in an episode of Clarissa Explains it All and I liked it.

TheDarkHippie

Cancer Goat
Number of posts : 1101
More Numbers : 4159419
Registration date : 2009-01-17

PostSubject: Re: So it began: How did You Discover YOUR gothyness?   Wed Sep 16, 2009 2:34 pm

Middle school. 7th grade acctually. I lived a sheltered life. Wasn't really exposed to much of the goth scene until 10th grade. I just always loved learning about cultures (especially the ancient ones) and history. My music taste always went for classical and the stuff with a harder beat. I loved sci-fi movies and stuff of that nature. And I had a mini library by 7th grade. I started dressing more in black in 7th grade cause I figured, hell if they are going to make fun of me for bieng different (even though I dressed alot like them) I might as well give em something. And the clothes were pretty, really really pretty. I felt more confindent and more like me wearing them. My school didn't have alot of "goth kids" heck, I don't remember any until highschool. Then there was this one girl, a cybergoth. Most amazing person ever. Never talked to her but she was my fashion idol. (then she went scene, how tragic!) started looking it up and then just fell in love with the goth scene!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.facebook.com/joanestabrook#/profile.php?id=757050283&
helen damnation

Gemini Number of posts : 5252
: : Satan's cheerleader
More Numbers : 4490599
Registration date : 2008-07-21

PostSubject: Re: So it began: How did You Discover YOUR gothyness?   Wed Sep 16, 2009 6:01 pm

I'm not a goth, I'm Barbie Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Well, the Devil he taught us how to rock and then he turned us loose
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: So it began: How did You Discover YOUR gothyness?   

Back to top Go down

So it began: How did You Discover YOUR gothyness?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1