HomeHome  Main PageMain Page  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Canadians Research Zombie Attacks

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
ravengrim

Virgo Rat
Number of posts : 7192
: : The Fallen Angel
: :
More Numbers : 4585950
Registration date : 2008-07-21

PostSubject: Canadians Research Zombie Attacks   Mon Aug 24, 2009 11:43 pm

Canadians research zombie attacks

Ottawa, Canada - Researchers from the University of Ottawa and Carleton University have produced a mathematical model to discover that, if there were to be a battle between zombies and the living, who would come out on top.

Indeed, it cannot be often that a research paper bears the title: WHEN ZOMBIES ATTACK! - MATHEMATICAL MODELLING OF AN OUTBREAK OF ZOMBIE INFECTION

Headed by Professor Robert Smith? - that's his real name, the question mark is to distinguish him from Robert Smith, lead singer of rock band The Cure, apparently - the paper models a zombie attack using biological assumptions based on popular zombie movies.

According to the paper's abstract:
"Zombies are a popular figure in pop culture/entertainment and they are usually portrayed as being brought about through an outbreak or epidemic. Consequently, we model a zombie attack, using biological assumptions based on popular zombie movies.

"We introduce a basic model for zombie infection, determine equilibria and their stability, and illustrate the outcome with numerical solutions. We then refine the model to introduce a latent period of zombification, whereby humans are infected, but not infectious, before becoming undead.

"We then modify the model to include the effects of possible quarantine or a cure. Finally, we examine the impact of regular, impulsive reductions in the number of zombies and derive conditions under which eradication can occur.

"We show that only quick, aggressive attacks can stave off the doomsday scenario: the collapse of society as zombies overtake us all."

The researchers, who, along with Professor Smith? includes someone by the name of Joe Imad, say that the key difference between the models presented and other models of infectious disease is that the dead can come back to life:

"Clearly, this is an unlikely scenario if taken literally, but possible real-life applications may include allegiance to political parties, or diseases with a dormant infection."

With breathtaking understatement, the researchers note: "This is, perhaps unsurprisingly, the first mathematical analysis of an outbreak of zombie infection."

The paper concludes:

"In summary, a zombie outbreak is likely to lead to the collapse of civilisation, unless it is dealt with quickly. While aggressive quarantine may contain the epidemic, or a cure may lead to coexistence of humans and zombies, the most effective way to contain the rise of the undead is to hit hard and hit often.

"As seen in the movies, it is imperative that zombies are dealt with quickly, or else we are all in a great deal of trouble."

The paper can be read
HERE.

You know I think we all came to that conclusion after seeing our first zombie movie,but I could be wrong.
I kind of wonder what studies like this cost.
zombie attack

@themorrigan1972
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cynfullov
star member

Number of posts : 3919
Location : Wickedly at play while the GODS of HADES give an ever watchful grinning eye.
More Numbers : 4543516
Registration date : 2008-08-20

PostSubject: Re: Canadians Research Zombie Attacks   Mon Aug 24, 2009 11:57 pm

An arm & a leg. (I'll hide now)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
La Diva Carlotta
supernova

Scorpio Goat
Number of posts : 7863
More Numbers : 4484559
Registration date : 2008-07-23

PostSubject: Re: Canadians Research Zombie Attacks   Tue Aug 25, 2009 1:04 am

Still no cure for cancer. Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MoonRaven

Cancer Pig
Number of posts : 9359
: : Geisha
More Numbers : 4578564
Registration date : 2008-07-21

PostSubject: Re: Canadians Research Zombie Attacks   Tue Aug 25, 2009 1:20 am

Oh Canada! Our home and native land.... crazy

Leo Cat
Number of posts : 4539
: : Werewolf
More Numbers : 4483590
Registration date : 2008-07-22

PostSubject: Re: Canadians Research Zombie Attacks   Tue Aug 25, 2009 3:42 am

It's probably just so the governments have proof to back up their killing sprees.

deadcoldgothgirl
supernova

Sagittarius Snake
Number of posts : 6332
More Numbers : 4482386
Registration date : 2008-07-24

PostSubject: Re: Canadians Research Zombie Attacks   Tue Aug 25, 2009 6:39 am

Oddly enough zombie and I talk about this topic often. Obviously one of her favorite things is zombies. But it is really hard to say how that would all work. Humans could survive if it wasn't dealt with quickly depending on shelter and how long they can survive. In some movies they can only last for months with lack of food. In that case with the proper hiding space and proper food supply humans that aren't infected can live through out such an out break. But if other movies are correct in saying zombies would be able to live for years without food then it is highly unlikely that the human race would be able to survive with lack of food and proper ablitly to protect themselves. The only possible answer in that case would be to have a blocked off completely functional civilization under ground.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.myspace.com/gothic_freak
cynfullov
star member

Number of posts : 3919
Location : Wickedly at play while the GODS of HADES give an ever watchful grinning eye.
More Numbers : 4543516
Registration date : 2008-08-20

PostSubject: Re: Canadians Research Zombie Attacks   Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:45 pm

"Clearly, this is an unlikely scenario if taken literally, but possible real-life applications may include allegiance to political parties, or diseases with a dormant infection."

I think the zombie theme was taken, instead of something not so far fetched, just so people would show some interest in it. Perhaps even to draw more attention to the universities.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ginger_Snaps

Leo Cat
Number of posts : 4539
: : Werewolf
More Numbers : 4483590
Registration date : 2008-07-22

PostSubject: Re: Canadians Research Zombie Attacks   Tue Aug 25, 2009 7:43 pm

This made me remember something; the American government has a contingency plan for when aliens attack, so I wonder if they have a plan for when a zombie outbreak occurs.

zombienooodle

Libra Horse
Number of posts : 21
More Numbers : 4331602
Registration date : 2008-11-12

PostSubject: Re: Canadians Research Zombie Attacks   Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:50 pm

DCGG. Holy barnacles, I love you. Epic win XD
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.myspace.com/snapbraceletskill
Alenuska

Capricorn Pig
Number of posts : 270
More Numbers : 4476198
Registration date : 2008-07-25

PostSubject: Re: Canadians Research Zombie Attacks   Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:02 pm

Interesting but i think its criminal supposed univirsity educated intellectuals are actually payed to research this... But then again I cant say i'm surprised especially in regard to how crappy the education system is.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Canadians Research Zombie Attacks   

Back to top Go down

Canadians Research Zombie Attacks
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1