HomeHome  Main PageMain Page  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Latest topics
» I feel Happy
by endless dark Today at 3:12 pm

» Recent Acquisitions Thread
by Vampira132 Today at 4:53 am

» What Are You Currently Watching?
by ravengrim Yesterday at 10:17 pm

» Current Reads
by ravengrim Yesterday at 10:01 pm

» What is everyone doing at the mo?
by ravengrim Yesterday at 9:28 pm

» The General Rant/Bitch/Moan Thread.
by Ginger_Snaps Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:49 pm

» What Are You Listening To Now?
by endless dark Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:28 pm

» Random Thoughts
by Ginger_Snaps Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:55 pm

» Dream Thread
by endless dark Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:57 pm

» The Official Birthday thread!
by La Diva Carlotta Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:35 pm

» ^*^ Happy Halloween ^*^
by GhostRed Tue Oct 31, 2017 2:40 pm

» Three Word Story
by shortpsycho Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:06 pm

» What Game Are You Playing?
by Madelchai Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:41 am

Like/Tweet/+1
Most Viewed Topics
Random Thoughts
The General Rant/Bitch/Moan Thread.
What is everyone doing at the mo?
I feel Happy
The funny pages
The General Rant/Bitch/Moan Thread.
The Official Birthday thread!
What's The Last Movie You Saw?
Post Random Pictures of yourself!
Recent Acquisitions Thread
Similar topics

Share | 

Straight Out of Brooklyn, the $5 Slice and talk of BIG $ Burgers !

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
cynfullov
star member

Number of posts : 3919
Location : Wickedly at play while the GODS of HADES give an ever watchful grinning eye.
: :
More Numbers : 4538264
Registration date : 2008-08-20

PostSubject: Straight Out of Brooklyn, the $5 Slice and talk of BIG $ Burgers !   Sat Aug 01, 2009 10:30 pm

Straight Out of Brooklyn, the $5 Slice

On Avenue J in the Midwood section of Brooklyn, a small cup of coffee costs $1.39. An 18-stick package of gum is $1.49. And at Di Fara Pizza, the price of a plain cheese slice: $5.

Domenico DeMarco, and only Domenico DeMarco, makes the pizza at Di Fara’s in Midwood, Brooklyn. Many customers say the high price is justified.

Crowds form at the counter at Di Fara and spill onto the sidewalk. They are not an angry mob, but a hungry one. Some order two slices, for $10, and some, like Frank Mancino, a retired electrician from Bath Beach, Brooklyn, whose girth is a statement about his allegiance to pizza in general and Di Fara in particular, order a whole square pie, for $30.

“Worth it,” said Mr. Mancino, 64, between bites on Wednesday afternoon. “It’s like they dug up my grandma and she made the pie.”

Di Fara, one of the most acclaimed and sought-after pizza shops in New York City, now sells one of the most expensive — and still-sought-after — slices in New York City, on a no-frills Brooklyn block next door to, of all places, a 99-cent store. The price of a slice increased to $5 on July 1, up from $4, the cost for the past year and a half. Just about everything else went up as well: Plain round pies are $25 and specialty square pies are $35.

There are those who have called Di Fara and left nasty messages on the answering machine, and there are those who have made a special trip to Midwood in recent days to find out what a $5 slice tastes like.

And yet, the owner, Domenico DeMarco, 72, a founder, remains undisturbed by the commotion, cutting fresh basil over bubbling pies with a pair of kitchen scissors.

“I use the top ingredients,” said Mr. DeMarco, whose accent still echoes Provincia di Caserta in Italy, where he is from; it is an ethos that adds to the Di Fara mystique, and perhaps to its prices. “Other pizzerias, I don’t think they use the top.”

The price of a slice has long been one of the city’s unofficial economic indicators, and the increase at Di Fara has led to intense analysis among New Yorkers about what, exactly, it indicates: a deepening recession, an easing of the recession, rising inflation, savvy marketing, price gouging, or commodity prices on the Chicago Mercantile Exchange? Or, simply, Mr. DeMarco — a bespectacled maverick of the New York pizza world, who insists on making every pie himself — being Mr. DeMarco.

Even Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg joined the debate, though he was careful not to say whether he was for or against a $5 slice. “The real question, relative to the local economy, is whether people are trading up from a $2.75 slice or down from a $25 entree,” the mayor said in reply to a question on Thursday. “And from what I hear in the subways and on the streets, it’s probably a mixture of both. But if you’ve ever had a really great slice of pizza, you know there are worse deals.”

And there is an underlying concern about a ripple effect. Other pizzerias “might follow suit,” said Adam Kuban, 35, the founder of Slice, a pizza-focused blog that reported the new price. “Some people might think, ‘Mine is at $2.50 or $2.75, maybe I can raise it to $3.’ ”

Behind the counters at a number of city pizzerias, the $5 Di Fara slice has sparked some grumbling. “I don’t agree with it,” said Francesco Taormina, 42, manager at Rizzo’s Fine Pizza in Astoria, Queens, where a plain slice costs $2.50. “I couldn’t possibly think of any slice that could cost that much.”

Of course, Mr. DeMarco believes his pizza is worth the money, and many of his customers believe so as well, arguing that in a city where rents, tolls and subway fares keep climbing, paying more for what many consider the best pizza in New York is entirely reasonable.

Mr. DeMarco uses imported ingredients. The flour, extra-virgin olive oil, San Marzano tomatoes, buffalo mozzarella cheese and Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese are all brought from Italy, and the basil is from Israel.

The only person who makes a Di Fara pie is Mr. DeMarco, because, in his words, “I believe only one guy should make the pizza.” When Mr. DeMarco is not available to make the pizza, Di Fara shuts its doors, as it did for several weeks in January while Mr. DeMarco recovered from a car accident.

A $5 Di Fara slice is thin and crispy, the dough a few seconds shy of burnt, topped with a tangy, subtle sauce, served on a paper plate, over a sheet of wax paper, in an overheated 44-year-old pizzeria with a worn floor, a drippy air-conditioner and a handwritten sign reading, “Bathroom is out of order.”

On Wednesday, Chris Alese, 28, an off-duty police officer, waited an hour and 20 minutes, paying $61 for two pies and four drinks for his group. “It’s unbelievable,” Mr. Alese said, referring to the taste. “You’re going to pay for quality.”

Murat Ugur, 23, was not as impressed. “So-so,” he said Thursday, biting into a slice. “A little oily.”

Margaret Mieles, Mr. DeMarco’s daughter and Di Fara’s manager, said a number of factors went into the decision to raise prices. The shop has always used expensive imported ingredients, but in the past six months Mr. DeMarco has been more generous with them, part of what she called his new “heavy hand.” As a result, she said, more supplies are being ordered more often.

The increase in the city’s sales tax was another reason Di Fara raised its prices, Mrs. Mieles said, since the tax is included in the price. (The tax rate goes up half a percentage point on Saturday.) She denied speculation that the price increase was to make up for a recent reduction in the pizzeria’s hours of operation. It used to be closed on Mondays, but is now also closed Tuesdays. Her father wanted — and needed — the rest, she said.

Those hoping the new prices are temporary, like those hoping the wait for a slice will get shorter, will be disappointed.

“We will never, ever lower the price,” Mrs. Mieles said. “It can only go up. It can never come down.”

shock Wow's

I LIKE PIZZA! I don't know about $5 dollar a'slice pizza.

I think $30 bucks for a whole pizza is'a kind'a a lot too.

Think I'd be making my own.

Last edited by cynfullov on Sun Aug 02, 2009 2:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Straight Out of Brooklyn, the $5 Slice and talk of BIG $ Burgers !   Sat Aug 01, 2009 10:37 pm

I've heard of worse things... like a $100 cheeseburger.
Back to top Go down
La Diva Carlotta
supernova

Scorpio Goat
Number of posts : 7860
More Numbers : 4479304
Registration date : 2008-07-23

PostSubject: Re: Straight Out of Brooklyn, the $5 Slice and talk of BIG $ Burgers !   Sun Aug 02, 2009 12:12 am

Only in New York kids, only in New York.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cynfullov
star member

Location : Wickedly at play while the GODS of HADES give an ever watchful grinning eye.

PostSubject: Re: Straight Out of Brooklyn, the $5 Slice and talk of BIG $ Burgers !   Sun Aug 02, 2009 12:31 am

Hey, I was wondering if you might have come across this place and tried some!! I'm wondering if it really makes all that big a difference having your basil imported from Israel?

Quote :
" There are those who have called Di Fara and left nasty messages on the answering machine,"

That's so wrong right there cause it's his shop, his pizza. If your not happy with that price no one's forcing you to buy it. Gotta be another pizza place not to far away.

I like having a bathroom handy though, but I see in the pic we're allowed to sit on the tables so maybe there's a casual trade off there..maybe.

nsanelilmunky wrote:
I've heard of worse things... like a $100 cheeseburger.

No Ways! Very Happy <- shocked into laughter!

Maybe things are just higher in NewYork in some places. Having seen the pic of people eating in I also, with the $5 for the slice, threw in thought of drinks and tip. When I think about it, it's close to the amount maybe paid for fair food and stadium food.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Straight Out of Brooklyn, the $5 Slice and talk of BIG $ Burgers !   Sun Aug 02, 2009 10:42 am

I saw it on that show Hell's Kitchen. It's a high price restaurant in LA that was selling them. But yeah. There's a $100 cheeseburger out there. They're not even that big.

Quote :
If you can afford Boca Raton Resort and Club’s membership fee of $40,000 and additional yearly fee of $3,600, then this $100 hamburger is probably cheap for you:

Boca Raton Mayor Steven Abrams could barely speak between bites as he devoured the 20-ounce, $100 hamburger billed as the "beluga caviar of sandwiches."

At about 5 1/2 inches across and 2 1/2 inches thick, the mound of meat is comprised of beef from three continents — American prime beef, Japanese Kobe and Argentine cattle.

The bill for one burger, with garnishing that includes organic greens, exotic mushrooms and tomatoes, comes out to $124.50 with tax and an 18 percent tip included. The restaurant will donate $10 from each sale to the Make-A-Wish Foundation.

Link - via Random Citations, Thanks w.y.!

And apparently, Burger King is coming out with a $200 cheeseburger
Back to top Go down
cynfullov
star member

PostSubject: Re: Straight Out of Brooklyn, the $5 Slice and talk of BIG $ Burgers !   Sun Aug 02, 2009 11:23 am

Oh dear Gods, I think I'm going to be ill. Embarassedsick That's bad enough looking for me to use the sick smilie which I never use for that! URP!
Some might see that and get all mouth watery hungry lust, but uh that's just too much thick dead meat for me to look at. Even takes any thought of thoses fries totally away.

hmm... I kind of would like to watch someone eat that though. You wouldn't see as much of it then and the bun top would be on it. I wanna see how enjoyable that is for someone!
blush I like to watch people eat! Very Happy

Are you a thick burger lover nsane?
tWonder how many of us here are? .. spider

I'd think you'd have to bake that thing to cook it all the way through without charing it on the outside. Unless... it's for thoses that are into the cooked on the ouside rawish on the inside tastes.

3 Different kinds of beef from 3 different countries huh...

That's a neat article on that BK Burger. Very nicely done photo too.

That's nice of them to donate $10 to make a wish..
I need to think more on this. And also my post is getting rather

tired <(LARGE! )
Back to top Go down
View user profile
endless dark
admin

Sagittarius Monkey
Number of posts : 6451
: : Fearless Leader
More Numbers : 4575155
Registration date : 2008-07-21

PostSubject: Re: Straight Out of Brooklyn, the $5 Slice and talk of BIG $ Burgers !   Sun Aug 02, 2009 11:44 am

nsanelilmunky wrote:

Not worth it, thats an ugly burger, I could make a better one. Ok so thats a better one for the average person, rich people eat odd foods anyway so who knows if they'd think its better...

cynfullov wrote:
blush I like to watch people eat! Very Happy
Please try to NOT watch me eat, at least not to much... I get kind of paranoid when people watch me Suspect Embarassed
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.darkrealm13.com

PostSubject: Re: Straight Out of Brooklyn, the $5 Slice and talk of BIG $ Burgers !   Sun Aug 02, 2009 11:54 am

I wouldn't eat it either. My cheeseburgers I only like ketchup and lettuce added. All that other stuff would make me sick.
Back to top Go down
cynfullov
star member

PostSubject: Re: Straight Out of Brooklyn, the $5 Slice and talk of BIG $ Burgers !   Sun Aug 02, 2009 12:59 pm

I can only vaguely think I remember what meat tastes like. The pic would look a little bit more lively if there were some ketchup dripping down those fries. bat tongue

The picture taker, burger buyer, must have either not liked ketchup on theirs or hadn\'t gotten to add it yet or they were wanting, which I think is more the case, to show off the burger meat.

I forgot to mention earlier... drunken The LIGHT! The LIGHT!

Last edited by cynfullov on Sun Aug 02, 2009 1:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Straight Out of Brooklyn, the $5 Slice and talk of BIG $ Burgers !   Sun Aug 02, 2009 1:03 pm

Do you notice in the background, there's either a guy praying into his napkin, or has died at his table?
Back to top Go down
cynfullov
star member

PostSubject: Re: Straight Out of Brooklyn, the $5 Slice and talk of BIG $ Burgers !   Sun Aug 02, 2009 1:47 pm

Praying over your BIG BURGER! That's sorta sad & Laughing

What a macabre touch that wold be for a restuarant to have on the wall a portrait ""memorial"" for thoses that didn't survive the undertaking of consuming the "BIG BURGER!!!"

We need some creep'deli'lishous food joints out there!!! clap

I saw that. I thought he was also taking a pic with a camera with one of those, um? rain guard type shield's on the zoom. I'm at a loss for their true name.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Straight Out of Brooklyn, the $5 Slice and talk of BIG $ Burgers !   Sun Aug 02, 2009 2:01 pm

Maybe he is the photographer. Something to do with mirrors maybe. And I think it's called a tele-zoom... maybe?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Straight Out of Brooklyn, the $5 Slice and talk of BIG $ Burgers !   Sun Aug 02, 2009 2:07 pm

Okay, so apparently there's also a $150 burger in New York.
Back to top Go down
TheDarkHippie

Cancer Goat
Number of posts : 1101
More Numbers : 4240825
Registration date : 2009-01-17

PostSubject: Re: Straight Out of Brooklyn, the $5 Slice and talk of BIG $ Burgers !   Sun Aug 02, 2009 3:31 pm

EW. That $150 burger looks plain disgusting. heck, all of them look gross. There is no way (even if I was a millionare) that I would pay $150 for one persons meal. It is just plain ridiculous!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.facebook.com/joanestabrook#/profile.php?id=757050283&
helen damnation

Gemini Number of posts : 5254
: : Satan's cheerleader
More Numbers : 4572007

PostSubject: Re: Straight Out of Brooklyn, the $5 Slice and talk of BIG $ Burgers !   Sun Aug 02, 2009 5:45 pm

My own burgers cost about 20p each and they have garlic, paprika and coriander in them. They dont look like big piles of up chuck either sick

This actually makes me mad because so many people are having to live on the amount that these knobs have paid for a single burger. I hope it chokes them having more money than sense

Well, the Devil he taught us how to rock and then he turned us loose
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cynfullov
star member

PostSubject: Re: Straight Out of Brooklyn, the $5 Slice and talk of BIG $ Burgers !   Sun Aug 02, 2009 5:55 pm

I'm about to vere off subject just'a little for a trip through one of The Off Roader's trip albums.

Denny's Belly Buster!!! <-- Pics!

Friday Night we went to Denny's Beer Barrel Pub in Clearfield, Pennsylvania, which offers several varieties of "large" for the extreme burger enthusiast: a 2-pound Challenger, a 3-pound Baby Boy, and, a 6-pound Ye Olde 96er (so named because it contains 96 ounces of meat). As advertised on the pub's web site, a 96er sells for $23.95 and includes the following fixings and condiments:

Two whole tomatoes
A half-head of lettuce
12 slices of American cheese
A full cup of peppers
Two entire onions
A river of mayonnaise, ketchup, and mustard

Denny's also has the "Beer Barrel Belly Buster" a monstrous 15-pound burger featuring 10.5 pounds of ground beef, 25 slices of cheese, a head of lettuce, three tomatoes, two onions, a cup-and-a-half each of mayonnaise, relish, ketchup, mustard and banana peppers. On a bun. (Pictured to the right). While you may not be into abusing your belly, they do have a great selection of specialty burgers, about 2 or more full pages worth in their menu that really are great.
Denny's (not to be confused with the national chain restaurants of the same name) offers prizes for customers who can completely consume one of their big burgers within three hours. None of our group took on the challenge but a few guys got the 1 lb burger, which was pretty big in itself at 4 times the size of a Burger King Whopper.

In January 2005 a 100-pound woman became the first person to win the Denny's Beer Barrel Pub challenge when 19-year-old Kate Stelnick of Princeton, New Jersey, downed a six-pound Denny's "96er" hamburger and five pounds of fixins' in 2 hours and 54 minutes, just shy of the three-hour time limit. For her trouble, Ms. Stelnick got a special certificate, a T-shirt, and other prizes, as well as having her tab for the $23.95 burger picked up by the house.

What was that you said Diva, only in New York????

Mama mia! That’s an expensive pizza! 4 figure shock! Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked
New York restaurateur serves up a $1,000 pie, complete with caviar

Let's take a cyber road trip! seeker see what everybody else is got a pizza going for.

Top 5 Most Expensive Pizzas in the World

" This brings us to our ... Pizza of the Rich & Famous Portion of our post"

5) Most Expensive Pizza in 2005 a la Gordon Ramsay
Restaurant: Maze in London, England
Damage: $150 to $250

In 2005, the title of the Most Expensive Pizza (that wasn't a marketing ploy) was held by Chef Jason Atherton, head chef of Gordon Ramsay's Maze restaurant in London, England. At $25 per slice, the wood-oven thin crust pizza is topped with Italian onion puree with white truffle paste, fontina cheese, baby mozzarella, pancetta, cep mushrooms, freshly picked herbs - and shaved with white truffle shavings, shaved by head chef Atherton himself at your table in various quantities associated with cost. You can choose to pay $90, $120, or $150.

Chef Ramsay!!! shock

4) Nino Selimaj's $1000 Pizza
Restaurant: Nino's Bellisima, New York City
Damage: $1,000

Would you expect anything less from Manhattan's Upper East Side? Nino Selimaj, owner of Nino's Bellisima, owns six New York City pizza restaurants. In 2007, they began to offer a $1000 pizza. 12 inches of thin crust pizza topped with six types of caviar and lobster tail. The production cost per pizza pie is $720.

3) Pizza Royale 007
By: Chef Domenico Crolla in Glasgow, Scotland
Damage: $4,200

Chalk one up for the creators of Haggis. In 2006, Scottish Chef Domenic Crolla created his "Pizza Royale 007," named after the James Bond movie that was released around the same time. The pizza is sprinkled with edible 24-carat gold shavings and topped with champagne-soaked caviar and lobster marinated in the finest cognac. The pizza was auctioned off on eBay for the Fred Hollows Foundation, a charity dedicated to preventing curable blindness in developing countries. An Italian lawyer won the eBay bid for the pizza for his wifefor a Valentine's Day gift. Chef Crolla flew to Rome to prepare the pizza.

2) Pizza for Lovers
Restaurant: Favitta's Family Pizzeria, Henrietta near Rochester, New York
Damage: $8,180

For Valentine's Day in 2008, this pizzeria offered a heart shaped pizza "for lovers." Just like the World's Most Expensive Desserts and the World's

Most Expensive Burgers - you're paying for the jewellery keepsake rather than the food. This pizza is topped with a diamond ring and a bottle of Dom Perignon champagne is also included with your meal.

1) Luis XIII
By: Chef Renato Viola in Agropoli, Salerno, Italy
Damage: This is truly a pizza made for royalty. $12,000.

This elusive and little-known - or rather - poorly marketed pizza is offered in Italy by pizza maker Renato Viola. The 8-inch pizza is made 72 hours before to give the dough time to rest before being made into pizza. It is topped with the traditional mozzarella di bufala, three types of caviar, lobster from Cilento and Norway, and dusted with pink Australian salt from the Murray River. Each grain of salt is hand picked to ensure its great flavour. The cost includes service: a team of three (Renato Viola, a sommelier and a chef) will come and create this pizza for you in the comfort of your own home. The dishes and cutlery used are limited edition.

kooky faint
Back to top Go down
View user profile
helen damnation

Gemini Number of posts : 5254
: : Satan's cheerleader
More Numbers : 4572007

PostSubject: Re: Straight Out of Brooklyn, the $5 Slice and talk of BIG $ Burgers !   Sun Aug 02, 2009 5:59 pm

I just want to die looking at that belly buster. I could probably only nibble a corner of that behemoth! How can people pack that much shite into their tummies?

Not surprised that Ramsey hikes his prices up but I do believe that some of his restaurants in the UK are a bit precarious. devildance Nasty bad man, supports an evil football team! *veers completely off topic*

Well, the Devil he taught us how to rock and then he turned us loose
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Straight Out of Brooklyn, the $5 Slice and talk of BIG $ Burgers !   

Back to top Go down

Straight Out of Brooklyn, the $5 Slice and talk of BIG $ Burgers !
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1