HomeHome  Main PageMain Page  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

FDA advisers vote to take Vicodin, Percocet off market

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
cynfullov
star member

Number of posts : 3919
Location : Wickedly at play while the GODS of HADES give an ever watchful grinning eye.
: :
More Numbers : 4538264
Registration date : 2008-08-20

PostSubject: FDA advisers vote to take Vicodin, Percocet off market   Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:03 am

" The panel was meeting for the second day to vote on recommendations to reduce the risk of serious liver injury associated with acetaminophen, which is found not only in prescription drugs, but also in over-the-counter medications such as Tylenol and NyQuil.

It also advised the FDA to lower the maximum daily dose of acetaminophen in over-the-counter and prescription medications, and to address the formulations and dosing recommendations for children. "

" If the agency does not choose to eliminate prescription combination drugs, the panel said the FDA should lower the amount of acetaminophen in the drugs and also take some action to ensure that subscribers and patients are aware of potential liver damage posed by taking these products, Kweder said. "

" Although acetaminophen is one of the most commonly used drugs in the United States for treating pain and fever, overdoses of acetaminophen have been linked to 56,000 emergency room visits, 26,000 hospitalizations and 458 deaths during the 1990s, according to the FDA, citing one study. "

Now if they lower the amout of acetaminophen in these medications, wouldn't they think that will just make people take more of it?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
La Diva Carlotta
supernova

Scorpio Goat
Number of posts : 7860
More Numbers : 4479304
Registration date : 2008-07-23

PostSubject: Re: FDA advisers vote to take Vicodin, Percocet off market   Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:56 am

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.....Not my Vicodin!!!!!!!!!! tear It helped me get through my foot surgery recovery!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
La Diva Carlotta
supernova

Scorpio Goat

PostSubject: Re: FDA advisers vote to take Vicodin, Percocet off market   Wed Jul 01, 2009 12:07 pm

cynfullov, I was thinking the same thing. Of course folks will take more. Besides, isn't it ridiculously large amounts, i.e. amounts much larger than the current dosage limits, that cause the liver problems? I think the goal should be to educate people on the proper consumption of acetaminophen/Vicodin/Percocet, instead of an outright ban.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cynfullov
star member

Location : Wickedly at play while the GODS of HADES give an ever watchful grinning eye.

PostSubject: Re: FDA advisers vote to take Vicodin, Percocet off market   Wed Jul 01, 2009 12:49 pm

Your right and I think it's prolonged use that leads to liver damage.

Wanting action taken to ensure that consumers taking theses are aware of the possible liver damage? I was under the impression that all medicines containing acetaminophen have a warning stating this right on the container. The only why to "ensure" everyone has read it is to have them sign a release form saying they have or have been informed.

I think they should come up with something less damaging that still works as well.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cynfullov
star member

PostSubject: Re: FDA advisers vote to take Vicodin, Percocet off market   Wed Jul 01, 2009 1:08 pm

The thing is, I think, a lot of people take over the dosage recomended because their body has built up a tolerance and they have to take more to get any relief. But what are people to do?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
La Diva Carlotta
supernova

Scorpio Goat

PostSubject: Re: FDA advisers vote to take Vicodin, Percocet off market   Wed Jul 01, 2009 2:37 pm

True true true. But what is Dr. House going to do without his Vicodin?!!!! tongue

I'm looking at my bottle of Acetaminophen right now: Overdose warning: Taking more than the recommended dose (overdose) may cause liver damage.

I wonder what other pain meds the drug companines are working on currently.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ravengrim

Virgo Rat
Number of posts : 7189
: : The Fallen Angel
More Numbers : 4580694
Registration date : 2008-07-21

PostSubject: Re: FDA advisers vote to take Vicodin, Percocet off market   Mon Aug 03, 2009 6:56 pm

The FDA says and does alot of things.
Sometimes I wonder if they are being proactive or just picking and chooing their battles
Case in point
I think if people are aware of the risks they should be allowed to make an informed decision about what they choose to put into their body.

@themorrigan1972
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: FDA advisers vote to take Vicodin, Percocet off market   

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1