HomeHome  Main PageMain Page  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

"If you shop at Hot Topic you must be a poseur..."

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
helen damnation

Gemini Number of posts : 5252
: : Satan's cheerleader
: :
More Numbers : 4414445
Registration date : 2008-07-21

PostSubject: Re: "If you shop at Hot Topic you must be a poseur..."   Thu Nov 12, 2009 6:58 pm

shortpsycho wrote:
The whole "Hot topic is for posers" thing is rediculus. Hot topic does tend to carry a lot of good lables. For example, Lip Service, which happens to be one of my fav lables at the moment. I guess because hot topic can be located in the mall, which is where all the "Trendies" and "Rednecks" go, it must make someone a poser.
I <3 stupid people.

clap

Labels are for packages NOT people. I adore Lip Service and sometimes the online Hot Topic site has been the only place that I can buy the stuff. Dont forget that I am in the UK which is the nation that goth forgot

Well, the Devil he taught us how to rock and then he turned us loose
Back to top Go down
View user profile
shortpsycho

Gemini Snake
Number of posts : 477
More Numbers : 4310675
Registration date : 2008-07-27

PostSubject: Re: "If you shop at Hot Topic you must be a poseur..."   Thu Nov 12, 2009 7:16 pm

helen damnation wrote:

clap

Labels are for packages NOT people. I adore Lip Service and sometimes the online Hot Topic site has been the only place that I can buy the stuff. Dont forget that I am in the UK which is the nation that goth forgot

Are you kidding? Half the stuff I brows through online are UK sites. Half the stuff I have on my wish list are off of UK sites. I have a currancy converter on my favorites tab because of it =D
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ginger_Snaps

Leo Cat
Number of posts : 4519
: : Werewolf
More Numbers : 4320757
Registration date : 2008-07-22

PostSubject: Re: "If you shop at Hot Topic you must be a poseur..."   Thu Nov 12, 2009 7:28 pm

i agree, most of my favorite goth clothing sites have a .uk domain. If I were just a little more poor at math than I am now, I would be buying right and left from them since they always seem to be cheaper.

SPF
vip member

Scorpio Number of posts : 1678
: : Fashionista
More Numbers : 4305982
Registration date : 2008-07-31

PostSubject: Re: "If you shop at Hot Topic you must be a poseur..."   Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:42 pm

I honestly dont like any of the clothes hot topic sells or really anything in there. Well they have fishnets and maybe a The Cure band tee, but I could buy that elsewhere for cheaper.

Its true that just bc you buy things that HT sells you are not a poseur, but some kids think that Hot Topic is the holy grail of goth. Once they enter they have been "transformed" Its like that south park episode. but now is more scene.

Thats what irritated me perhaps. Clothes dont make the goth, just like any sort of clothes does not make the person.

Also, I hate going in HT because there are really annoying people in there. I dont know if other people have noticed it, but every time I have been there, there are always little girls taking pics with there phones of the hot guy that works there. Or guys messing with all the merchandise.

I spend a lot of time at the mall and around teens (i am a camp counselor) and I never encounter silly teenagers anywhere else other than the food court.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
deadcoldgothgirl
supernova

Sagittarius Snake
Number of posts : 6332
More Numbers : 4319574
Registration date : 2008-07-24

PostSubject: Re: "If you shop at Hot Topic you must be a poseur..."   Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:41 pm

^^I tend to agree on them becoming scene and such. Personally I still find things there that I like. I love TRIPP but they don't sell any of their things besides retail so if I want them I have to go to a hot topic or other retail location.

I like to complain about hot topic being so scene and I don't like being there, yet at the same time hot topic is a good place. As we all know baby bats can tend to be stupid and need to have that holy grail transformation. Which is why in part I was one of those hot topic goth teens and thanks to the clothes they used to carry, I am now in the lovely subculture we all love so much because of me taking the time to understand what the hell it was I was wearing.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.myspace.com/gothic_freak
RedAngel
star member

Leo Snake
Number of posts : 5374
More Numbers : 4149707
Registration date : 2008-11-30

PostSubject: Re: "If you shop at Hot Topic you must be a poseur..."   Fri Nov 13, 2009 12:11 am

I have a theory about the decline in variety of what Hot Topic carries:

10-12 yrs ago, when I went there frequently, I found unique things made of velvet, satin, lace, etc.

Recent years: more tees and cotton pants, which fit more of a "scene" aesthetic -- but is the change actually just a byproduct of much cheaper production? Is it just much easier/cheaper to sell mostly tees with stuff on them instead of velvet dresses/satin dress shirts/faux-fur miniskirts?

Not the first time I've ranted about a decline in clothing quality over the past decade. But I'm just wondering if that's the root of the style change here.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://gracestudios.deviantart.com/
Madelchai
vip member

Sagittarius Rooster
Number of posts : 1309
More Numbers : 4319565
Registration date : 2008-07-21

PostSubject: Re: "If you shop at Hot Topic you must be a poseur..."   Fri Nov 13, 2009 4:01 am

helen damnation wrote:

Madness.

Most anything I find I like anymore comes from some UK shop or another.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ginger_Snaps

Leo Cat
Number of posts : 4519
: : Werewolf
More Numbers : 4320757
Registration date : 2008-07-22

PostSubject: Re: "If you shop at Hot Topic you must be a poseur..."   Fri Nov 13, 2009 5:36 am

RedAngel wrote:
I have a theory about the decline in variety of what Hot Topic carries:

10-12 yrs ago, when I went there frequently, I found unique things made of velvet, satin, lace, etc.

Recent years: more tees and cotton pants, which fit more of a "scene" aesthetic -- but is the change actually just a byproduct of much cheaper production? Is it just much easier/cheaper to sell mostly tees with stuff on them instead of velvet dresses/satin dress shirts/faux-fur miniskirts?

Not the first time I've ranted about a decline in clothing quality over the past decade. But I'm just wondering if that's the root of the style change here.

I think part of the reason is that goth was no longer "popular," so emo and scene replaced it. Really, whatever brings in more bucks.

velvet spider

Number of posts : 246
More Numbers : 4134775
Registration date : 2008-12-08

PostSubject: Re: "If you shop at Hot Topic you must be a poseur..."   Sat Dec 12, 2009 4:13 pm

Last week I purchased two adorable Nightmare Before Christmas stockings for our son (34) and his fiance (32) at Hot Topic -- I know they'll love them...!

They give me darling TNBC items from Hot Topic year round.

I must admit, in all the years I've shopped there I've never been treated poorly.
All the clerks have been personable, helpful and quite professional.
I'd truly miss ours if they were to ever disappear...
spider
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SPF
vip member

Scorpio Number of posts : 1678
: : Fashionista
More Numbers : 4305982
Registration date : 2008-07-31

PostSubject: Re: "If you shop at Hot Topic you must be a poseur..."   Sat Dec 12, 2009 4:22 pm

i went into HT just to see what it has changed to and I must admit I was almost blinded by the bright colors.

I have to expect HT to change. Like any other store, they are catering to trend. With HT they are catering to alternative trends. Its just normal for most large retail stores.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GothicScrybe
vip member

Aries Rooster
Number of posts : 2480
More Numbers : 4053490
Registration date : 2009-02-09

PostSubject: Re: "If you shop at Hot Topic you must be a poseur..."   Mon Dec 14, 2009 1:03 pm

I'm really disappointed in the change to the store front facade of the HT in Countryside Mall in Clearwater. It's not that dissimilar to the Ann Taylor Loft store.

Not that change is always a bad thing...it's just odd to see the facade of a HT look like the trendy store next door to it.

meh
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://thelosttheforgottenthedamned.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: "If you shop at Hot Topic you must be a poseur..."   

Back to top Go down

"If you shop at Hot Topic you must be a poseur..."
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2