HomeHome  Main PageMain Page  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

"If you shop at Hot Topic you must be a poseur..."

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Lolita Rose

Scorpio Horse
Number of posts : 114
: :
More Numbers : 4229311
Registration date : 2008-07-30

PostSubject: "If you shop at Hot Topic you must be a poseur..."   Mon Jun 22, 2009 3:33 pm

This topic was inspired by the following review for 'The Goth Bible' on amazon:

Quote :
"Unfortunately, I haven't read the book, but this page seems to be a breeding ground for posers."-SO true.
if your a neo-goth poser that shops at hot topic then this is perfect for you.

>___< I can't stand that way of thinking!

I shop at Hot Topic! I go there quite often, because its convenient.
Its also nice if you don't have any other stores of the sort nearby. You can actually find some really nice stuff if you dig through the racks and really take a look around.

And at the current time, its easier than going and filling out money orders to buy things online, because I don't have a credit card yet.
I mean no, I'm not too into the extremely brightly colored things they've had in there recently, but I have bought most of my band t-shirts, my make up, several pairs of shoes and hair dye from there.

I really don't see what the big deal is. Or why some people seem to see shopping there as something that they are 'above' doing. Isn't it possible to be genuinely interested in goth subculture, and not be opposed to shopping at stores like Hot Topic? I got over caring if people called me a 'poseur' when I was 13, but that way of thinking still irks me.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
La Diva Carlotta
supernova

Scorpio Goat
Number of posts : 7857
More Numbers : 4244274
Registration date : 2008-07-23

PostSubject: Re: "If you shop at Hot Topic you must be a poseur..."   Mon Jun 22, 2009 3:52 pm

Yeah, people suck all over. I understand how frustrating it is. Even when you are strong willed it's disheartening when people make disparaging comments like that.

But you know what, just keep on doing your own thing. If you like shopping there then continue doing so. Screw what everyone else thinks! great
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cynfullov
star member

Number of posts : 3919
Location : Wickedly at play while the GODS of HADES give an ever watchful grinning eye.
More Numbers : 4303237
Registration date : 2008-08-20

PostSubject: Re: "If you shop at Hot Topic you must be a poseur..."   Mon Jun 22, 2009 5:28 pm

I know it's possible to be goth and shop at Hot Topic and other stores the like, because I've bought things there myself and I've been goth longgg before the goth we know today had a name to go by.

Hot Topic gets the poser shop label because when Goth become a fad for awhile and Hot Topics started showing up in malls, it made it easy for anyone with money could go in and become Goth over night. In appearance at least.

But just putting on the clothes isn't going to make you Goth. Your goth because that's who you are. That's why now that the fad is over there's often heard "Where have all the Goths gone?"

I am happy things are now easier to get to especially for young goths. Having a store like Hot Topic in the malls may make it easier for thoses that aren't goth to play dress up, but it also makes it really great for us to get a hold of somethings. Most importantly I think having such a shop in the malls has made it just a little more accepted within society and with parents when it's right there beside mainstream shops. Just a little though.

Last edited by cynfullov on Tue Jun 23, 2009 12:22 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
helen damnation

Gemini Number of posts : 5252
: : Satan's cheerleader
More Numbers : 4336978
Registration date : 2008-07-21

PostSubject: Re: "If you shop at Hot Topic you must be a poseur..."   Mon Jun 22, 2009 5:31 pm

Call me a poseur then!!! neener

I've been called a Hell of a lot worse in my life. I actually like Hot Topic - they sell pants that make me feel happy about my body so for that alone they deserve mucho kudos

As for elitism, well PHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOEY!

Well, the Devil he taught us how to rock and then he turned us loose
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ravengrim

Virgo Rat
Number of posts : 7179
: : The Fallen Angel
More Numbers : 4345661

PostSubject: Re: "If you shop at Hot Topic you must be a poseur..."   Mon Jun 22, 2009 6:10 pm

I've never been to a Hot Topic.
Where I grew up they didn't have any.In all honesty I guess I don't see anything wrong with shopping where the clothes or accessories are affordable.
Some people are too judgemental over stupid things.
Clothes are just clothes,getting a good buy on something that makes you feel happy about how you look is all that matters.

@themorrigan1972
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MoonRaven

Cancer Pig
Number of posts : 9359
: : Geisha
More Numbers : 4338285

PostSubject: Re: "If you shop at Hot Topic you must be a poseur..."   Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:47 pm

I shop at Walmart for clothes tongue
Anywhere that sells black clothes that fit.
I can care less about brands and stores. I have trouble enough finding pants that fit right. So I go where I may.

PostSubject: Re: "If you shop at Hot Topic you must be a poseur..."   Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:49 pm

I don't like Hot Topic as much just because the quality seems to be lacking.

I still go in there once in a while even though the employees give me dirty looks.
Back to top Go down
Morwenna
star member

Capricorn Cat
Number of posts : 3717
More Numbers : 4238650

PostSubject: Re: "If you shop at Hot Topic you must be a poseur..."   Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:55 pm

Pfft..I used to work there. Hated it. I like some of the clothes but with the stuff they have in there right now I have to use sunglasses to walk through the store.

I have a love-hate relationship with that place. It's mostly the people.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
La Diva Carlotta
supernova

Scorpio Goat
Number of posts : 7857
More Numbers : 4244274

PostSubject: Re: "If you shop at Hot Topic you must be a poseur..."   Tue Jun 23, 2009 12:12 am

MoonRaven wrote:
I shop at Walmart for clothes tongue
Anywhere that sells black clothes that fit.
I can care less about brands and stores. I have trouble enough finding pants that fit right. So I go where I may.

Amen, sister, amen!!! clap
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MoonRaven

Cancer Pig

PostSubject: Re: "If you shop at Hot Topic you must be a poseur..."   Tue Jun 23, 2009 2:02 am

grin

Number of posts : 246
More Numbers : 4057308
Registration date : 2008-12-08

PostSubject: Re: "If you shop at Hot Topic you must be a poseur..."   Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:13 am

Goodness, I adore shopping at our Hot Topic.

I purchase my Nightmare Before Christmas cards there to share with friends at Christmastime.

Get my black laced gloves there for special events and love giving their baby clothing to close friend's at baby showers.

I've enjoyed using my discount card for years and the personal one-on-one service I receive is just the best...!

I must admit to being a year round Hot Topic shopper...!

(And I've a feeling I'm probably one of their most 'older' customers...)
devildance
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Madelchai
vip member

Sagittarius Rooster
Number of posts : 1309
More Numbers : 4242098

PostSubject: Re: "If you shop at Hot Topic you must be a poseur..."   Tue Jun 23, 2009 1:04 pm

If you weren't a poseur who shops at Hot Topic you wouldn't be offended by that!

(I'm kidding)

Hot Topic, in my experience, has always been a great place to go for overpriced cheaply made stuff. It's at it's best when it's "there," being the only place around to find *anything* that might be considered wearable.

However, it's not what it once was anymore either, as it's, at least from my glances, moved on with the times and caters largely to the Scene crowd now.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GothicScrybe
vip member

Aries Rooster
Number of posts : 2480
More Numbers : 3976023
Registration date : 2009-02-09

PostSubject: Re: "If you shop at Hot Topic you must be a poseur..."   Tue Jun 23, 2009 5:40 pm

I loathe "labels" and anything "designer" makes me want to drink poison, honestly.

I just can't fathom the draw to wearing a person's name that 1) You will probably never meet and if you did, they'd more than likely blow you off and 2) Honestly doesn't give a crap about you just as long as you're buying their stuff.

I go into HT but do I like the store? No. I have seen a real decline in recent years in their merchandise.

However, it is a good place to look for things that I might be able to find elsewhere. I like the fingerless gloves and my dollar store has them...$2 a pair versus $8 and up in HT.

Had I not seen them in HT first, I'd have never thought to check my local dollar store for them.

I have bought a cape, a doll for a friend's baby shower and some boots there as well as a cute pair of skull and crossbones slip ons, but for the most part, if it's not on clearance, I will walk out after perusing the rack.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://thelosttheforgottenthedamned.com/
TheDarkHippie

Cancer Goat
Number of posts : 1101
More Numbers : 4005798
Registration date : 2009-01-17

PostSubject: Re: "If you shop at Hot Topic you must be a poseur..."   Tue Jun 23, 2009 7:56 pm

ugh, I hate when people give labels to people, just cause of where they shop. Though yes, Hot Topic caters towards the scene group now, it is a great place to find some cheap stuff (I'm with GothicScrybe..if it's not on sale, I don't buy!), especially when you live where I do...
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.facebook.com/joanestabrook#/profile.php?id=757050283&
Lolita Rose

Scorpio Horse

PostSubject: Re: "If you shop at Hot Topic you must be a poseur..."   Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:30 pm

Yeah, there probably are a lot worse names to be called.

^^ Walmart and Goodwill are good places to find cheap clothes to fix up. You never know what you might find.
A lot of stuff in Hot Topic is overpriced, but most of it winds up in clearance and that evens it out. And if I have relatives who want to take me clothes shopping that's where we go.

Hmm, that's unusual. I've always known the HT employees to be the nicest people. At least the ones here and where I used to live. I always end up staying and talking to them for a while.

Madelchai wrote:
If you weren't a poseur who shops at Hot Topic you wouldn't be offended by that!

(I'm kidding)

Hot Topic, in my experience, has always been a great place to go for overpriced cheaply made stuff. It's at it's best when it's "there," being the only place around to find *anything* that might be considered wearable.

However, it's not what it once was anymore either, as it's, at least from my glances, moved on with the times and caters largely to the Scene crowd now.

Laughing Good answer!!! Yeah, there is quite a bit of scene-clothing in there now, but there's usually one or two cool things thrown in with all that.

GothicScrybe, it is a really good place to get ideas. Like I saw these red rose hair clips in there with these black feathers around them. If I'd bought them at HT they'd be 16$, but I got the supplies in the craft store and paid 3$ at the most.

My rule for shopping is never buy anything you can make yourself.

I suppose that as long as there's insecure people around the whole 'poseur' label will be around. I guess its like The Lady of the Manners from Gothic Charm School said, if someone feels the need to throw the poseur label around your best defense is sarcasm....
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Morwenna
star member

Capricorn Cat
Number of posts : 3717
More Numbers : 4238650

PostSubject: Re: "If you shop at Hot Topic you must be a poseur..."   Wed Jun 24, 2009 3:32 am

Lolita Rose wrote:
I guess its like The Lady of the Manners from Gothic Charm School said, if someone feels the need to throw the poseur label around your best defense is sarcasm....
Ah yes but if you didn't already know that, maybe you are a poseur. Wink jk jk
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MoonRaven

Cancer Pig

PostSubject: Re: "If you shop at Hot Topic you must be a poseur..."   Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:19 am

I never once claimed that I was goth...or anything for that matter except me.
So I'm not a poseur tongue
haha

vip member

Aries Rooster

PostSubject: Re: "If you shop at Hot Topic you must be a poseur..."   Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:54 pm

I swear by GoodWill, other misc. thrift shops I find here and there, and yard sales.

I have found some of the best clothes at yard sales.
Back to top Go down
RedAngel
star member

Leo Snake
Number of posts : 5374
More Numbers : 4072240
Registration date : 2008-11-30

PostSubject: Re: "If you shop at Hot Topic you must be a poseur..."   Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:12 pm

Madelchai wrote:

True. Hot Topic used to be so good! I found some really unique stuff there years ago. But the merchandise has gotten cheaper and a little too all-accessible -- you'll probably find more tees there than little velvet dresses, which isn't bad, but isn't as unique. I'll still check it out.

Still, when it comes to shopping, I say browse everywhere. You'll find some of the best stuff when/where you least expect it.

And as for pointing the poseur finger:
a. The Pointer is *always* insecure. Why hassle other people unless you feel like crap about yourself?
b. The Pointer ought to try "poser" instead of "poseur"; only posers try to Frenchify words like that. tongue
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://gracestudios.deviantart.com/
GothicScrybe
vip member

Aries Rooster

PostSubject: Re: "If you shop at Hot Topic you must be a poseur..."   Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:19 pm

RedAngel wrote:
Madelchai wrote:

And as for pointing the poseur finger:
a. The Pointer is *always* insecure. Why hassle other people unless you feel like crap about yourself?
b. The Pointer ought to try "poser" instead of "poseur"; only posers try to Frenchify words like that. tongue

I am almost jumping up and down here! My thoughts exactly!

hug to RedAngel
Back to top Go down
Lolita Rose

Scorpio Horse

PostSubject: Re: "If you shop at Hot Topic you must be a poseur..."   Wed Jun 24, 2009 4:40 pm

^^ Haha, probably. I wasn't really sure of the spelling. I figured the 'poser/poseur' spellings were a regional thing like 'grey/gray' or 'color/colour'. I guess I must be a poser for not knowing how to spell it right. tongue
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RedAngel
star member

Leo Snake
Number of posts : 5374
More Numbers : 4072240
Registration date : 2008-11-30

PostSubject: Re: "If you shop at Hot Topic you must be a poseur..."   Wed Jun 24, 2009 5:20 pm

Aw no! That wasn't a knock at you, Lolita Rose. hug Just me being a smartmouth. (I should have read more closely.)
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://gracestudios.deviantart.com/
Alenuska

Capricorn Pig
Number of posts : 270
More Numbers : 4235919
Registration date : 2008-07-25

PostSubject: Re: "If you shop at Hot Topic you must be a poseur..."   Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:30 pm

I have a feeling the new "gothic charm book" will become the next target as it get's better known.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ginger_Snaps

Leo Cat
Number of posts : 4519
: : Werewolf
More Numbers : 4243290
Registration date : 2008-07-22

PostSubject: Re: "If you shop at Hot Topic you must be a poseur..."   Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:36 pm

You shouldn't judge anyone by the place they shop, but if you get your fashion cues from Hot Topic, then you would be a poser. I mostly get my clothes from Wal-Mart, Goodwill, Peebles, Cato, and any other store that is near me since Hot Topic is still a little too expensive for me. I will peruse through the Hot Topic site to drool over some of the tops, bottoms, and jewelry, but I can't afford any of that stuff.

shortpsycho

Gemini Snake
Number of posts : 477
More Numbers : 4233208
Registration date : 2008-07-27

PostSubject: Re: "If you shop at Hot Topic you must be a poseur..."   Thu Nov 12, 2009 6:54 pm

The whole "Hot topic is for posers" thing is rediculus. Hot topic does tend to carry a lot of good lables. For example, Lip Service, which happens to be one of my fav lables at the moment. I guess because hot topic can be located in the mall, which is where all the "Trendies" and "Rednecks" go, it must make someone a poser.
I <3 stupid people.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: "If you shop at Hot Topic you must be a poseur..."   

Back to top Go down

"If you shop at Hot Topic you must be a poseur..."
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next